Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Subaru install

13 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Is that a Rotax redrive? Which one? Cool rad install, but might not have room with belt drive? Which drive has the clutch?

Wish he would have posted a blueprint of the hookup of the drive.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hi Ed, that looks like a C gear box to me... Wonder what gear ratio he used. 2.62 to 1 is the smallest ratio, 4 to 1 the largest. I suppose he has to run a large prop even with the 2.62 gears.

Posted

Is that a Rotax redrive? Which one? Cool rad install, but might not have room with belt drive? Which drive has the clutch?Wish he would have posted a blueprint of the hookup of the drive.EdMO

Looks like a simple plate bolted to the bell housing mount. Probably with an automatic flex plate. Turn up a simple shaft to go from the crank bolt pattern to the gearbox input and you're all set.

Posted (edited)

Looks like a simple plate bolted to the bell housing mount. Probably with an automatic flex plate. Turn up a simple shaft to go from the crank bolt pattern to the gearbox input and you're all set.

All you need is the C-box $$$ - I just saw a B-box sell for $404 on ebay.

I have an A-box, but don't think it will handle the Soob and Warp Drive prop?

I believe my belt drive puts the prop a higher than the Rotax drive???

EDMO

I wonder what rad he used?

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

All you need is the C-box $$$ - I just saw a B-box sell for $404 on ebay.

I have an A-box, but don't think it will handle the Soob and Warp Drive prop?

I believe my belt drive puts the prop a higher than the Rotax drive???

EDMO

I wonder what rad he used?

He referred to a VW Rabbit radiator

Posted

He referred to a VW Rabbit radiator

The engine looks like a Stratus2000, but that rad don't look like the one I have which is supposed to be a VW Rabbit rad. I need to get a photo of my rad for Jim anyway.

EDMO

Posted

Wonder where the intake manifolds came from??? Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Wonder where the intake manifolds came from??? Jim Chuk

Unless I missed something, I thought they were the standard Jap 2-carb that Stratus uses. The ones sold in the U.S. had to pass emissions for California, I think, and only had one carb., I will have to dig out my photos of the dual carb Stratus in the Airdale and compare.

EDMO

I went thru my photos of the Airdale, and the best engine photo only shows one side with a K&N air filter. SuberAvid may have posted photos of his dual carb engine somewhere on here?

Ed

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The reason I asked, was the Kitfox 4 project that I bought last summer has a Subaru engine on it. It looks like nothing was done to lighten up the engine, it has a massive intake manifold and alternator. Also the Harley Davidson style carb it flew with was missing. I might reuse this engine when I rebuild the plane, and am wondering how to lighten it up as much as possible. Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Jim,

I have read, and may have the article, of how to make a fiberglass intake to replace the heavy original, also replacing the alternator and starter with lighter ones helps. I will look for it after storms get over with. Mine has a Holly 5200 2-brl. carb, probably off of a Chrysler product, and you can get a TBI from Aerovee for $395.

somehow, the original intake with water-heating, seems to make some sense, although heavy - some have said that they never need carb heat.

What kind of redrive does it have? Has the heavy flywheel been replaced with aluminum?

I have been looking for any kind of racing parts for the Soob, but haven't found a place that makes any.

Stratus used to exchange a reground cam and lifters for yours and $125 - guess they still do that, but price may have gone up. You can have the heads reworked to take the larger hydraulic valves, but you have to keep the same type cam and lifters as they will not interchange.

someone in Australia used to make heads with dual plugs, but I don't see this as necessary, as the auto plugs are good for about 100,000 miles, and they don't lead-up like engines running 100LL.

Ed

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The engine has a NSI gearbox on it. Kind of small starter built into the gearbox. I bought a Bing type 94 40 MM carb of ebay a couple of weeks ago, that's the same carb as is used by Jabiru's 200 4 cyl. and 3300 6 cylinder engines. I also have a Aerovee TBI, so that's an option as well. No big rush on any of it, I'm going to finish the Avid MK IV rebuild before I start on the Kitfox 4.... Jim Chuk

Posted

If I have too many carb problems, which I don't really expect, I will be looking for the AV TBI.

EdMO