Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Stewarts System

14 posts in this topic

Posted

Just finished the fuselage with the 2 part poly.  No problem when I folled directions.  RUSS

961_c936783533d0092dbfc4df9656210b16028e

963_22c532f5dd960bad57a99abdf1e535a427c1

965_daad3cc0dfda9ab48841548085b9d007974e

967_23707881902223440eea748ed892e86ff83e

Posted

Looking good Russ.  Keep the photos coming.  I'm just getting started on the color coats, practicing on small parts because I'm using a different type of gun. 

Jack

Posted

Russ,

What type and model sprayer are you using to apply the Stewart Systems color coat?  I'm using a Wagner conversion gun and struggling to get the pressure and mix right.  I saw a gun at Lowes that doesn't need a lot of volume to work and am considering getting one.  My compressor only puts out 6 cfm, so I'm limited on which gun I can use.  Still going on your project?

Jack 

Posted

Jack, I am using a ATD 6900 set I bought on ebay,  Cost about $75.00 for the set of three guns and accessories.  The DeVilbiss Finishline coast about $150. but has three tips.  Mine seems to work fine. Just finished doors, and flapperons.  Cowling and turtle decks next.  Russ.

Posted

Thanks Russ, I'll check them out.

Jack

Posted

Jack,

I have a few guns, including a nice binks HVLP.  If you want to try it you are more than welcome to.  I will be in ANC Sunday evening and can drop them by.  I will be in ANC for a week for a class then off to the slope for a couple more weeks.  They have been sitting in the boxes for years so it is not an issue if you have them for a few years if need be :lol:

:beerchug:

Posted

I don't want to be a party-pisser, but at 6 CFM Jack's compressor won't handle a Binks HVLP gun.  It will only make a mess of his expensive supplies and project.

Posted

Got a good point there!  hmmm... I borrowed a buddies HVLP turbine... what a sweetheart to shoot with!  You can pick them up pretty cheap now days but he paid about 1200 bucks for his when they first came out.

:beerchug:

Posted

Thanks for the offer Leni, I think I'm beginning to figure out the wagner.  Getting the timing of the coats and the pressure to the gun seem to be coming together and should provide a better coat next time.

Jack

Posted

Here are some more photos.  Russ.

986_c8095ba89442cd19a35210795a8c4d8f2d05

Posted

Getting closer to finished.  Painted left wing today.  Only right wing to paint and I can start reassembly.  Russ :)

1012_f52926a27e5281e3550da24c1158f351fa5

1014_3d604d638b4f3a556ee80a6e48f808c6689

Posted

Russ,

Looking good.  How many coats of color are you applying, 4 or 5?  That stuff sure flows out nice.  I brushed on my first cross coat on the fuselage yesterday, will check everything today and see if I can figure out how to tape off everything I don't want covered with over-spray and still be able to paint.

Thanks for the pictures. Very motivating.

Jack

Posted

Jack,  I have been spraying two complete cross coats, plus one single coat.  That's five coats total.  Just make sure you wait until each is almost dry or runs will follow.  One wing to go.  Russ. 

Posted

Thanks Russ,

I think I'll be going to 5 coats on my wings, but probably only 4 on the top of the fuselage.  It will have already been painted white so with that for a base 4 should be plenty.  While learning to use my spray gun, I painted the tail feathers with white first and then yellow, they turned out ok, so I'll do the same on the fuselage.  Might save a few pounds of weight and some paint that way.  I know what you mean about the runs, I have a small one on a gear leg, but may just let it be rather than fiddling with it.  I think on the small items I tend to get too close and really build the paint. Got to watch out for that, many small things to go.

Jack