Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

MY NEW AVATAR

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I got tired of seeing my 40-year-old photo in front of my C-150, and promised to post a new Avatar of another of my Tail-Draggers, so here is my old 1946 Ercoupe 415C/D.

Yes, that is the parking wheel on the nose!

Ha!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Ed, can you share a larger photo of both of these?

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

Why - are you planting a garden and want to scare the varmints away?

Here's one - will have to look for the ugly one of me.

This one was taken when I first bought the plane - later sold it with Cleveland wheels and double-fork nosegear, dark bronze sunroof and light bronze windows.

EdMO

post-399-0-45861400-1428452238_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

How did you like flying it. I always thought they would be fun.

There is a female at SMD who, I was told, has no arms. I have no idea what the reason is. She flys a Ercoupe. I've wondered if it originally had pedals that were rigged to the alerions.

Posted (edited)

KFfan,

Flying the 'Coupe is like forgetting everything you know about landings, takeoffs, and taxiing - You just DRIVE it. Scared hell out of me first x-wind landing - Book says to hold the wheel LIGHTLY with two fingers, or just let go of it - I held it with a tight fist, and it darn near broke my arm when the nose wheel touched.

Other than that, I really enjoyed it when I got used to crossing my legs and relaxing while landing in a crab - it never failed to straighten out on its own.

A friend of mine had hit the guywires on a tower when he was flying, and was paralyzed from the waist down - he flew a Coupe with a hand brake on the IP. I flew a rented one that way once for my BFR. The Coupe only has one main brake for both wheels.

EDMO

One early mis-conception got some folks hurt or killed - the word was that the Coupe did not spin - Somehow, this got confused with, "The Coupe will not Stall" - This was totally false, THEY WILL STALL, and caused some wrecks at landing time.

Actually, the "Will not spin" is not entirely accurate - An Ercoupe test pilot was killed when he spun a Coupe with floats - seems like the floats blanked out the tail - It was never approved with floats! Donno if it had pedals...

If you take your pilots test in the Ercoupe, you have a restriction on it, and cannot fly 3-control planes until you take another test - sort of like taildraggers endorsement. I had already been thru commercial training in Cessnas when I got the Coupe.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

There is a female at SMD who, I was told, has no arms. I have no idea what the reason is. She flys a Ercoupe.

Her name is Jessica Cox, an incredible woman.  She has an amazing story.  I've heard her speak and she flew a friend of mine's Erocoupe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZWixvs5x0s

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I saw the video of her some time ago - WAY TO GO GIRL!

EDMO

I thought seriously about building an AB-Experimental Coupe with a conventional tail and 3 way controls years ago - Someone built a single-place, but I wanted 2 seats - Of course, it would be a taildragger, with the parking wheel in front! :lol:

Then I got Kitfox fever, and haven't recovered!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Kitfox fever?

Is it contagious?

Is it fatal?

Posted (edited)

Her name is Jessica Cox, an incredible woman.  She has an amazing story.  I've heard her speak and she flew a friend of mine's Erocoupe.

Perhaps I was misinformed about her flying at SMD?

Edited by KFfan

Posted

Kitfox fever?

Is it contagious?

Is it fatal?

it is contagious... it seems quite fatal to wallets and marriages as well.  :lol:

:BC:

Posted (edited)

My wallet is mostly empty and my wife passed in '12. Guess I'm safe.

And before it starts, that is 2012 NOT 1912!

Edited by KFfan
1 person likes this

Posted

Watch out Ed. That was post #100!!

Posted (edited)

Watch out Ed. That was post #100!!

Glad that more people are writing - didn't think my Ercoupe avatar would make so much conversation - but I am glad it did. I plan to get more work done on Foxy and less writing this year - If I can ever find a stopping place!

I am staying close to the house for the next 2 days because of spring storms - We dodged the bullet today when 4" grapefruit-sized hail hit a town where the J3 is hangered, and a tornado funnel was spotted south of us -

typical weather in the Tornado Alley area. May is usually the worst month.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Pretty nasty hail in central IN today as well