Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Left Rudder Pedal Cable Attach Hardware Interfernce with Fuselage

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Making slow progress on a Model III.  When installing the rudder pedals and hardware I find the left rudder pedal (pilot side) is too close to the nearest vertical fuselage frame tube resulting in interference between the rudder cable hardware and the vertical frame tube.  Right side (copilot - outboard) is fine.

Looks to be about 1/4" to 3/8" too close.  Anyone seen this one before?

Larry S.
Edited by LSaupe

Posted (edited)

Making slow progress on a Model III.  When installing the rudder pedals and hardware I find the left rudder pedal (pilot side) is too close to the nearest vertical fuselage frame tube resulting in interference between the rudder cable hardware and the vertical frame tube.  Right side (copilot - outboard) is fine.

Looks to be about 1/4" to 3/8" too close.  Anyone seen this one before?

Larry S.

Larry,

We have heard of one pedal being so close to the fabric that the bolt wouldn't go in -

My quick-thought is to cut off 1/2" or so from the other end of the cross tube, and use washers and a longer bolt to shim the nylon part over to match the tube.

Or, weld the cutoff part on the other end.

Also, check your cable to make sure it lines up with the front fairlead next to the front of the seat - some of these have worn thru the nylon and destroyed the cable by rubbing the metal tube.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I had the same issue on my KF3 so I have to ask the obvious... if it is the nut end of the bolt hitting the fuse tubing, did you swap out the bolt with a clevis or pan head bolt and reverse the bolt direction? Simple, worked for me.

Posted

How about bending the cable attach tube to make it clear?

EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the replies.  Yep, it is the nut end.  It will clear if I reverse.  I was trying to avoid this (to keep from snagging the nut and cotter on feet.  Sounds like you have tried this and it really isnt a concern, so will give it a go.

Posted

...or maybe a shorter bolt with a thin castle or shear nut on the outside would give you just enough clearance?