I've got it covered......

99 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well at least one side of one wing.  Got everything fixed in the wing that needed repairs, and just couldn't resist.  Started slapping fabric on it.  AND PLEASE ! no funny remarks about my shop.  LOL   Couple of pics.   Still kind of cold in my neck of the woods, I think I'll put all the fabric on plus finish tapes on everything, and by then maybe it will be warm enough on some days where I can pull outside air though the garage while I spray everything.  My heat in the garage will never keep up if it's cold outside and  I run an exhaust fan.  Jim Chuk

post-329-0-85283400-1428720236_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-72298700-1428720446_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Jim,

That cannot be a "working shop" - You can see the floor! I think there may be a law against that in Missouri! :lol:

The fiberglass intake may be in one of my "Contact" mags, which are all over the place, in boxes, etc. Cant find it in other books.

EDMO

Posted

I agree with EdMO.  I am in the process of recovering part of my left wing where I added a wing tank.  The floor of my shop is a disaster! My workbenches are piled up!  Somehow I still find everything im looking for!!!

Posted (edited)

Mine is "Organized Chaos" - I may find what I need right after buying another!

I brought 22,000 lbs of stuff from Alaska - about half of that sat in a trailer, and half in my basement, for a year while I built a garage and a shed to store it in - My choice was to organize, or just store it and start building plane - I chose to start building my plane!

I have a milling machine and a gunsmith lathe in the back of the garage, and have not run the wires to hook them up - I would have to move out half of my stuff to move them if I sold them.

I said that when the plane is finished, and moved to a hanger, then I will have time to organize - but will probably be too busy flying!

EdMO

Jim Chuk,

Sorry for stealing your thread Jim - Next time you post, spread some tools, parts and scraps across the floor and we wont be so jealous!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Might have a scrap of fabric in one of these pics Ed.   I know they were on the floor-still are for that matter.  I tightened the fabric up to 250 degrees before I quit this evening.   (first shrinking) If I don't loaf around to much tomorrow, I might be putting on finish tapes before the day is over. I bought a roll of the 2 mil 8'4" wide plastic today, when I get the tapes on, I'll wrap the wing up to keep it clean and then start the next wing.  Maybe if I worked more than a few hours a day, I might get more done as well.  Had company yesterday and today, and there is then much more sitting and talking than working.  Jim Chuk

PS,  Just after I posted this message, I remembered I'm ribstiching these wings.  Finish tapes will come later.  Well maybe ribstiching before the day is over.........

post-329-0-93136700-1428894281_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-44855900-1428894303_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-42047400-1428894325_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Don't forget the stitching tapes...

Looks good.

EDMO

Posted

looks great Jim. wish i had more time right now, I haven't really been able to touch the kitfox since March. busy busy this time of the year.

Posted

Looks good Jim! 

Posted

Thanks guys, I actually did get started on rib stitching today. Finished the three ribs behind the tank,post-329-0-00245300-1428977031_thumb.jpg and put the rest of the reinforcing tape on the top of the wing. Boy my feet hurt from being on that concrete floor. Got to try different shoes tomorrow. Jim Chuk

Posted

Red Wing work boots.  Worth every penny for standing on concrete for hours on end.  I've never found better.

Posted

Thanks for the tip on the boots, I know I have to do something different. Jim Chuk

Posted

Red Wings are the only boots I wear.  Make that 2 for Red Wings.

Posted (edited)

I must be slowing down, I think it took me at least as long to do one wing today and the little bit yesterday as it took me to do both wings on my Kitfox. One done anyway. One thing that took longer, was the Avid has an aluminum leading edge that goes back about 16". I stitched the bottom of the rib all the way to the front spar. It was a real pain going around just the bottom verses being able to go right through the wing. On the Kitfox there was nothing in the way. Tried different shoes today, and my feet still hurt. I'll try my lace up work boots tomorrow. They aren't redwings though. Funny story about the only pair of redwings I ever bought. It was back in 1972 or 73, I was living in Deerlodge, Montana and working as a carpenter on a big resort that took advantage of the hot springs there. (Fairmont Hot Springs) A couple of motels were being built as part of this resort, and they had glass patio doors that went out onto a balcony. I was setting these doors and was on my hands and knees as much as I was standing up it seems. The redwing boots were steel toed, and in two days of wearing them, I could see the steel toes where the leather had wore away on the rough concrete. I was always wearing out the toes of my boots, but those steel toed ones were the worse. Oh well, memories.... Jim Chuk

PS Orilly was coming on as I was doing this post, and so I forgot to mention that I got to go flying for an hour this evening. Finished the last three ribs after the flight.

post-329-0-69751900-1429067002_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-48539100-1429067020_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk
1 person likes this

Posted

Harbor freight has some mats that work ok.  I got a couple of almost 1" thick ones somewhere, but I can't find them anymore.  They stay in front of the metal lathe and the mill, makes using those for a long time much more pleasant.  the HF ones are in front of the woodworking power tools since I don't tend to stay there as long.

http://www.harborfreight.com/anti-fatigue-roll-mat-61241.html

Mark

Posted

If you can find a restaurant supply house, the rubber mats that cooks stand on are awesome for a shop floor. Not cheap, but you can stand on them all day long in your house shoes! Easy to clean up with a garden hose too.

Nice progress on the wings.

:BC:

Posted

Well thanks for the tips on rubber mats and such.  I was putting finishing tapes on today and came in for a cup of coffee and a couple of cookies.  (what a wonderful wife I have)  Anyway, sometimes a guy spends like a drunken sailor on one thing (airplane projects) and then goes cheap on another (finish tapes).   A while back I bought this pinked edged cutter, and I'm putting the waste fabric to use rather than buy pre cut tapes.    I can't stand to throw anything away if it's still good.   This is the first time I really used the cutter and it sure works good.  You have to lay out and mark lines with a pencil, and then freehand it though the cutter, but the tapes come out straight and whatever width you want them.  Probably took me less then 15 minutes to make the 4" leading edge tapes and 2 " trailing edge tapes.  I bought the cutter on ebay, for $50 + shipping, and when it arrived, found out the seller bought it on Amazon and had it shipped to me. He paid $36 and got free shipping.  I learned there to compare ebay and Amazon.  Local fabric store wanted $89.   Anyway, I do like this cutter.  Well I'm going to go back out to the garage and put on some of the trailing and leading edge tapes.  The rest of the tapes are done.  Jim Chuk

post-329-0-06471300-1429305834_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-14739800-1429305858_thumb.jpg

post-329-0-02698600-1429305881_thumb.jpg

3 people like this

Posted

So what is the reason for the pinked edge tapes, I don't think I have ever used it. Now I don't have a terrible lot of covering experience. But is this tape something I should buy for the kitfox 1. 

Posted

Originally they would fray the edges of the fabric for better holding. The pinked edges do that as well. They are supposed to hold better than straight edged tapes. They can be a bit more of a pain in the neck though, as the pinked edges sometimes want to curl up when you put the next coat of chemical on. You iron them down and hope they stay down. I finished the tapes on the wing yesterday. Didn't get a picture yet. Jim Chuk

Posted

Wish i was that far along lol, finally i get to say that.  No my build almost stopped now that summer is here, hopefully I can get caught up and get back into it soon. looks good Jim keep it up.

Posted

Well I suppose I should up date this thread, rather than hijacking other ones.   Finished the second wing to the point of being ready to spray poly brush, and then wrapped it up and put it with the other one.  Started the fuselage couple of days ago, and have all but the verticle stabilizer covered.  Probably finish that tomorrow.  Anyway, it's progress.  Last pic is with the battery access hatch in place.  Jim Chuk

Photo0225.jpg

Photo0226.jpg

Photo0232.jpg

Posted

Jim,  I would like to see more about how you are building and attaching your access hatches - You going to put hinges on one or both?

I've got two of them to build.

EDMO

Posted

Jim you sure do a lot of covering these birds, have you ever thought about a side line business?

Posted

Ed, I'll get some more pictures of the hatch later today,  TJay, this is just the third plane I've covered so far.   I don't think anyone would want to wait as long as it's taking me on this one.  I started on it last March or April.  :-)   I have another one to do and the wing on the Kitfox 1 ahead of me,but they are under cover and not going anywhere, so it will be a while before I get to them.  I'm to busy being retired to even thing about going back to work for someone else.   Jim Chuk

Posted

RETIRED !!!  OMG, I went that route the first time in 1991 - Not voluntarily, my plant closed and my option was to retire or move to someplace that didn't really want me with possibility of losing pension.  Worked harder after that than I had worked for years.  Retired again in 2005 for the last time and completely rebuilt my retirement home after moving back from Alaska.   Retirement is not easy for me - got to stay busy or go nuts!

EDMO

2 people like this