I've got it covered......

99 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Well everything is done fabric wise and hanging from the ceiling till it's time to mount it all on the plane.   JImChuk

Photo07661.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Jim, check out the new member post in this section - Great looking damaged Avid - Guessing he probably has Poly products for a finish and needs to repair fabric - You are probably one of the best experts at that.  Maybe you can give him some advice?   Good Work!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Bit of an update on the Avid MK IV.  Haven't done much, but did get a new SS firewall built.  The old one was galvanized steel, and full of patches and blocked off holes, so it was time for a new one.  JImChuk

Photo0801.jpg

Photo0807.jpg

Photo0812.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Nice work Jim - Hope you will follow up with more details.   EDMO

Posted

keep the photos coming Mr. looks good

Posted

Got a bit more done on the Avid firewall.  Doesn't seem like I get much time to work on it, or I'm letting other things get in the way!  JImChuk

Photo0821.jpg

Photo0817.jpg

Photo0819.jpg

Posted (edited)

did you make all those little angles around the edge, or buy them?   Are they stainless?   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I made them.  That whole fire wall was a 3'x3' and a 1'x1' stainless steel sheet.  It's actually easy to cut with a 4 1/2" side grinder with a narrow blade.  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

did you make your own heater vents or are they off the shelf items?

Posted (edited)

Those heat vents are actually 2" soffit vents that I kind of remodeled to work.  They are aluminum, so that kind of defeats the value of the stainless steel firewall, but it's not a perfect world....  I hole sawed 2" holes, slipped the soffit vent in and used high temp RTV sealent to keep them in place.  I've used these vents in several planes and a 2" scat tube will fit nice over them.  I did use 2" aluminum flex tube from an auto parts store to connect the muffler shroud vent to the firewall vent.   I actually used spring loaded cabnit door hinges rivited to a piece of aluminum for the door on the opposite side of the firewall.  They are hard to open or close in flight though.  Maybe the passenger could reach them.  In MN in the winter time, it's seldom that one is too warm in the plane.  And there are always the window vents if you were.  JImChukImage result for 2" soffit vent

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Right on!  funny, I have the same vents in my firewall!  :lol:

I didn't know if you had found something better or not.  now that I can tig aluminum I may make a few a little heavier duty and make new heat muffs.  

Posted

Great minds think alike! Or so they say at least. ;-)  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

If the hinges are spring loaded, how do you keep the doors open?     Lou

Posted

Snapped a couple of pic of the heat vent doors.  The cabnit hinges only have spring pressure when they are almost closed.  If I want heat, I leave the doors all the way open.  In the middle picture the spring in the hinge is about to start to work.  JImChuk

Photo0830.jpg

Photo0831.jpg

Photo0830.jpg

Posted

Thanks. I had forgotten about the point at which the spring engages. My house still has manual hinges ;)     Lou

Posted

Kind of quiet on the group, I may as well give evidence that I've been doing something.  (Not much though;-) )  Hung the engine a couple of weeks ago, and it's mostly sat till the last 2 days.  Built the instrument panel now that I know what's going into it and got it painted this evening.   Once I get the panel in place, I can start the wireing and all that.  Mostly I'll just be switching stuff from the old panel to the new one so it's not really a lot of work.  JImChuk

Photo0858.jpg

Photo0859.jpg

Photo0883.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

looks great, I cant wait to retire!

Posted

It's surprising how little time I seem to have even without having to go to work.  I don't know how I got anything at all done at home when I was working.  The pace is a bit more relaxed now though.  I was usually out the door by 5:30 or 6:00 to go to work.  Now I get up later, sit at the computer for a couple of hours, and feel good if I'm out the door by 10:00.  Haven't seen any progress reports on your plane TJay, how is it coming?  JImChuk

2 people like this

Posted

looks great, I cant wait to retire!

Be careful what you wish for.... :rolleyes:    Lou

Posted

It's surprising how little time I seem to have even without having to go to work.  I don't know how I got anything at all done at home when I was working.  The pace is a bit more relaxed now though.  I was usually out the door by 5:30 or 6:00 to go to work.  Now I get up later, sit at the computer for a couple of hours, and feel good if I'm out the door by 10:00.  Haven't seen any progress reports on your plane TJay, how is it coming?  JImChuk

Still wiring, it is amazing how much wire goes into these electronics, Ill post some photos this weekend, see if it meets all you guys specifications,

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Haven't updated this post in a while.  Been working slow but, well not really steady either, mostly slow.  :-)  Have made some progress however.  Got the windshield on a week or so ago, been working on the cowling the last few days.  Here are a couple of pics I took today after a bit more of progress.  I used the old boot cowl, and used a new cowl for the front sections.  If I don't waste to much time on the PC, I might get the wings mounted later this week.  Might be ready for an annual conditional inspection in a few weeks.  The Kitfox 1 annual is up the end of this month, so I may forgo the painting on the cowl and stuff and have the AnP do both planes at the same time.  I can always pull the cowl and paint it after the annual conditional inspection.  JImChuk

Photo0683.jpg

Photo0684.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
1 person likes this

Posted

I got looking and see I haven't posted a finished picture of the panel, only one of the cutout. Well here is what I have in the plane for now.  Temporary labels on the circuit breakers, and no labels on the switches and stuff, but it's moving forward. JImChuk 

Photo0253.jpg

Posted

Which is the park brake - Rope or electric wire?  ;<)  Looks good.  EDMO

1 person likes this

Posted

I suppose I will have to take them off eventually.  I think when I was building and  fitting the firewall I wanted the rudder pedals pulled back and out of the way, so I tied them to the seat truss.  JImChuk

Posted

Carb temp, you don't see that one too often in an Avid. Curious where you sourced this cowl set?