I've got it covered......

99 posts in this topic

Posted

The Cowl came from the guy (Ron Smith) in Montana that built the cowls for Avid.  The fiberglass forms are now owned by a guy near me in Two Harbors, Mn.   The carb temp was a way to watch out for carb ice on the Bing carb on the Jabiru engine.  Not sure how useful it's been, although I don't think I ever had any carb icing in the time I flew it.  JImChuk

Posted

Well, a bit more progress to show.  Put the  regular landing gear on last night, today I put the wings on.   By my self!  I have some wing stands that I made years ago, they go up and down, and the top tilts as well.  I lowered the wing down from where it was tied to the ceiling, and then got it on the wing stands.  Jockied one wing stand at a time about 6" then the other and walked them to where they needed to be to meet up with the plane.  Takes a bit of time, but it works.   I really worry that I will tip one over, but I've done this quite a few times, and never did yet.  Anyway, here are a few pics with the wings on.  Had to try the yellow lift struts to see if the jury struts would line up before I paint them.   JImChuk

Photo0725.jpg

Photo0721.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Looks great Jim!  Airplanes really are the "mother of invention". Keep up the good work, hows your model one coming along? Mike

1 person likes this

Posted

Haven't been doing much with the Kitfox 1, it's kind of on the back burner.  Do you want another one for the other garage stall?  :-)  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Looking good!!

Posted

Haven't been doing much with the Kitfox 1, it's kind of on the back burner.  Do you want another one for the other garage stall?  :-)  JImChuk

I think I'm good now, one to fly and one to build= aviation bliss. Mike

Posted (edited)

Plugging away slowly on the plane, worked on brake lines and parking brake today for a while.  Bought a brake valve off of ebay a while back, and finally installing it now.  I see they still have them available.  Hope the seat doesn't push down to far and hit it.   JImChuk        http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerdes-Brake-Distribution-Valve-Model-A-850-10-for-Piper-or-Homebuilt-Aircraft/152012254828?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Photo07711.jpg

Photo07721.jpg

Photo07731.jpg

Photo07741.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer

Posted

Is the forward position on or off?  I'd be concerned if forward was 'on'.  If the seat does sag and hit it, that would push it forward.  That would suck on a firm landing to suddenly have the brake lock up.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

Good point Mark.  Parking brake on is forward.  I think I will have plenty of clearance on the seat, If not, I'll have to put a block next to the valve to keep it clear.  I do have the sling seat, so it's adjustable for height.  Putting the valve forward wouldn't apply the brakes by itself, but would stop you from using them, unless it's a one way valve.  Course, then you couldn't "unused" them once applied.  I'll look at it again.  JImChuk

Posted

Jim,  Cant you make a "Safety" cover or some sort of manual blockage so this can't accidently be applied?   EDMO

Posted

I had the same idea as you Ed.  This is what I have for now.  It measures 4" from the door frame opening to the top of the aluminum cover piece.  Maybe enough, at least it's protected.  JImChuk

Photo07762.jpg

Video0011.mp4

Posted (edited)

Guess that is good Jim? - However, I was talking about protecting the control knob part so it couldn't come out without an invitation.  ;<)   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It's actually pretty much out of the way on the front side of the seat truss.  Could put it on the landing check list to check that the knob is in before landing.  I think Mark's concern was more likely to present a problem.   JImChuk

Posted

Put fluid in the brakes today, and checked out whether I had any leaks or parking brakes.  No and yes.  No leaks, I have parking brakes.  I'm happy with it.  Was able to look under the fiberglass seat, and had about 1 1/2" of clearance.  I'll be using a sling seat, and while it may sit a it lower, I can adjust it up if I need to, and feel the brake protector cover through the seat.  I left a loop in the brake lines so I'm prepared for bush gear if I end up going that way.  I'm happy!.  JImChuk

Photo0783.jpg

Photo0784.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Jim, what fluid do you use for brakes? I know it's suppose to be H5606 But I don't have any so I am looking for an alternative. Mike

Posted

I used the H5606.  Maybe some one local to you has some where you can buy a small amount.  I got a quart from Wag Aero for about $8.00.  JImChuk

Posted

I used the H5606.  Maybe some one local to you has some where you can buy a small amount.  I got a quart from Wag Aero for about $8.00.  JImChuk

Thanks Jim. I will order a quart tomorrow. Mike

Posted

Bit more progress to report.  The Avid has little sections of 5/16" ID pipe welded to the fuselage in various places that the Bowden trim cable ran through.  Before I recovered, I go some nice new Teflon lined cable and ran it through the fuse.  Today when I mounted the elevator, I started to run the trim cable the rest of the way.  That's when I found out that they used 1/4" ID pipe on the elevator.  Don't think I said any bad words, but may have thought of a few.  :-)  Finally split the pipes and spread them open enough so the cable would run inside them.  Trim now works.  Accidently touched one of my rudder cables to the battery the other day when I was feeding it through the fabric slit.  (another dirty rotten dog moment)   Turned out I had another piece of cable left, so didn't have to order more to replace it.  Installed that this evening so now the rudder cables are hooked up.  Finally was able to really try out the parking brake now that the pedals hold against the rudder cables.  It works!  I'll see if I have any leaks tomorrow cause I left the parking brake on.  Wont be long and it's going to be ready to fly.  Jim

1 person likes this

Posted

Cool! Wish I was making some progress. My Corvette took a dump so it has been occupying my free time. Mike

Posted (edited)

Well a bit more progress to report.  Taxied the plane around today.  First time it's moved under it's own power since Oct. 2011.  Did the weight and balance weighing, didn't do the calculations yet, but I've gained about 15 lbs from the last time.  I did add some tubing for the wide fuselage mod, and also some .040" sheet along both sides and infilling the seat truss.  Full lexan doors, instead of the aluminum bottoms that used to be there.  I'm right at 602 lbs now.   Empty CG is at 14.51" now so putting the battery all the way back helped.  Just did the calculations and with 400 lbs of people, 148 lbs of fuel, my CG is at 15.09.  Don't remember for sure, but I think I used to be around 13.5 or 14 before.  Don't have any pics, I took some, but they are on the phone memory, and I can't figure out how to transfer them to the memory card.  Tomorrow maybe.  JImChuk

PS  figured out how to transfer pictures.  Amazing the things a manual will tell you if you take the time to read it. :-)  Still have some painting to do on the cowl and such, but I need to get the annual done on the Kitfox 1, and want to do both planes at the same time and save the AnP some travel time and such.   

Photo0906.jpg

Edited by 1avidflyer
2 people like this

Posted

Great! I made some progress myself this weekend. Mike

Posted

Just looking at this thread now, I was telling someone about it this evening, and went and found it.  I now have 26.5 hrs on the plane, and it's working out just great.  Would have flown more, but was down south this winter for 3.5 months.   And no, the cowling still isn't painted.  I do really like the 3" wider fuselage.  Went flying with a friend last week.  We both are about 5'9" and 215 or so.  It wasn't cramped at all.  JImChuk

Posted

26 hrs nice work Jim. I cant wait to say that.

Posted

Looking pretty sexy with those new doors. :)