Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Soob radiator setup

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Well I've got the rad and exhaust off to redo on my EA81. The exhaust I'll be using 1-3/4" stainless straight pipes with a crossover tube behind oil pan.

The radiator I have no clue. The avid came with a small but heavy rad mounted underneath like a Mack truck. I also have a vw rabbit rad but am wondering about other options? I'd like to mount under the belly slanted as many do but am curious if other types of rads may work? Or if there's a specific size to aim for?

Thanks

Matt

Posted

Suberavid on here had some aluminum rads made for his that are in cowl like the MKIV rads.  They seem to work great for him and every time I see the plane he has part of the rads taped off so he can get the engine to come up to temp. 

:BC:

Posted

Have you ever used one of those?

Posted

I've got one in my Kitfox as a heater core.  If I open the valve to it and run the fans without taping the main radiator on the belly I will drop my coolant temps 50-75º depending on the OAT.

Posted

great. they look like a nice product, with a fairly nice price.

Posted

If you go look on ebay, there are lots of these coolers available as well.  Search for oil cooler.  I used one from ebay as an oil cooler for my Jabiru engine.  Don't know if it's as high quality as Summit racing's stuff, but it worked for me.  It got bent up when I flipped the plane over.  Kindof interesting end to the story, a friend of mine was looking for a cooler to put on a tractor run brush cutter.  It used a hydrolic motor to turn the blades on the brush cutter.  I gave him this cooler, and said I didn't know if it leaked or not.  He put it on and it worked fine.  No leak and temps stayed where they should. Jim Chuk

Posted

Oh awesome thanks guys. Are you suggesting two small ones up front? A narrow long one underneath? I really like the looks of those