Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

check out this canoe

11 posts in this topic

Posted

I have been in a canoe so many times hot, sun burnt, drunk, and bored wishing i was flying, think this guy is gonna pull it off, and if not that is one sweet canoe,

2 people like this

Posted

Looks like it will make a nice "float".

Posted

Interesting.. I think he has a better chance of getting into ground effect than the African Jeep did! 

:BC:

Posted

Looks like fun, but my gut tells me the center of thrust is too high and too far back.  Pushing the nose down like that is going to be a bitch to get off the water.

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted

I dont think the tiny elevator out of the prop wash is going to help either.. but dreamers are the ones who made flight possible so I hope the guy gets it in the air without hurting himself.  Not too sure about the throttle on the joy stick either...

:BC:

Posted

The tiny elevator would be just to help the elevators on the canard, but it is too low, and looks to me like it will be under water (as will the tips of those small propellers on the canard).  I think he'd be better off with that elevator on the back up in the airstream from the prop where it might have a chance to do some good.

It occurred to me that the way that pushes down the nose when power is applied, it might become a submarine if he tries to go around.......

Mark

Posted

My dad created a device one time that you towed behind a boat and it "flew" under the surface. It was 3 axis and you sat about 6 feet up with full up elevator. The only thing they failed to engineer was a way to stop its upward travel. It would do a gnarly endo if you "flew" too high and it tried to break the surface.

1 person likes this

Posted

That would be sweet!  a controllable hydrofoil.  I had lots of fun on the air chairs when they first came out (man you can launch those things high when you time it right with the wake) I am shocked we never broke our necks.. but I really dig the idea of a controllable one that you can "fly" in the water behind a boat.. sounds like a great training tool for the kids.  I gotta make one.  Do you have any pics of the one your dad made?

:BC: :bc:

Posted

He is definitely an experimenter and has made some progress, check out his earlier video "RC engine on fire". I didn't see any elevator on the canard or aileron for that matter but it looks like he did rib stitch the main wing.

1 person likes this

Posted

I always wanted to build hydrofoils for my Hobie Cat back when I was sailing but never got past the dreaming stage.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

My advice for anyone wanting to do something like this: Buy a Catalina - Chop off the wings to 8 feet span - license it as an airboat - and have fun in ground effect or on the water! (like the Russian Ekronoplane).

Two things are going to happen to this guy unless he is very lucky - he is either going to nose-in and do a submarine flip; or he is going to get nose-light, and do a backwards air flip!

I don't understand what the two little props are for, except to spray water in the pilots face !!!

I hope he survives, and I have to give him a lot of credit for trying something new!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri