Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Oil Cooler

3 posts in this topic

Posted

If have been having oil temps the ran from 225-250F from day one with my 912 installed in my MK IV Avid.  The normal was about 235F on warm or even cool days.  Although this is only somewhat high the oil always appeared "cooked" at and before oil change.  I purchased an oil cooler about a year ago and have finally installed it during the last week.  Oil temperature now runs about 160 and the high has been 172o F this has been with the ambient temperature in the 40's and 50's.

The cooler is a plate style transmission cooler (B&M) which is attach to the back of the radiator with the Hayden ties and I made a "gasket" from some HDPE material that I had.  Pretty easy project if anyone has been thinking about a cooler for a 912 Rotax install.

Posted

With synthetic oil, the red line is 285º F on a 912 engine.  What do you mean by "appeared cooked"?  What oil were/are you using?

At 160-172º you are not getting enough temperature to dewater the oil, IMO.

I do not have an oil cooler on my engine.  I run temps in the summer up to 260º with Mobil 1 Racing 4T.  It has never appeared coked or cooked to me.

Posted

Another option you may want to explore is one of the oil thermostats available.