Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Plastic Leading Edge

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Not doing much building here, but I am playing with a few of the parts I have, Is there any special way of finding the placement for the plastic leading edge, I would guess you want it to flow right with the top rib profile, hope that makes sense. also what are you gluing them on with?

Posted

There's a template for it somewhere.

Posted (edited)

TJay,

There should be a template here - Maybe in files and forms? Print 4 or 6 and glue the whole page to some scrap plywood - cut out the center and edges of page, and use rest to locate the LE -

Note: There is a Top and Bottom to the LE - It is not symmetrical.

I set my wing upside down. Start at the root end.

I taped the bottom edge of the LE with duct tape horizontally - then removed the templates and let the LE swing apart from wing - dab on 9460 to all 3 of the inner surfaces of the LE all the way across one part of it- move it back in position and locate again with templates, and tape the templates to the wing - wipe off any excess 9460 and tape LE top part to wing - then go to 2nd piece of LE and do the same.

If you need, I can post a copy of template.

If you bought new LEs, and Kitfox didn't send a template with it, shame on them!

EDMO

Two pieces of LE are longer than the wing - You can cut off the extra and glue it to the wingtips if you are going to make them removable, or just leave it on for future glueing to tip, cutting a radius and some cuts to make it end up blended at the tip end.

Fill the cuts with 9460 or Kittyhair.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

One thing to keep in mind, is the plastic leading edge came into being with the Kitfox 4 which has a different wing profile than the earlier Kitfoxes.  I had a post of a leading edge that Lee Dubay came up with for Avids, and by extention, earlier Kitfoxes.   Joey put it up more recently here with some other "improvements"  Lee came up with.  http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/3213-one-builders-upgradeswing-cuff-info-and-other-tips/?hl=%2Blee+%2Bdubay#entry23931   Have a look, it might give you some ideas.  I thought about doing this while I've been rebuilding the wings for the MK IV, but left things stock.  Jim Chuk

Posted

There's a template for it somewhere.

Wish I had a nickel for every time I post it!

post-53-0-16656400-1429845343_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Doug,

Many Thanks again, but I know we are overworking you - So I put it in Files and Forms.

Now you can relax on the beach all summer!

Sorry, I am all out of nickels - I am a plane builder!!!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks guys. And Doug the next time I buy something from you I will add a Nickle ha.

Posted

Dang it all Ed, that was going to be my retirement annuity payment stream!

1 person likes this

Posted

Fill the cuts with 9460 or Kittyhair.

Here kitty, kitty, kitty....

Here 9460, 9460, 9460...just doesn't sound right!

1 person likes this

Posted

I almost posted a new thread asking for this since I bought the pvc leading edge for my plane.  If I ever see you in person Doug I'll give you a nickel.

1 person likes this