Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Avid MK IV in ME

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello to all.

I just purchased an unfinished Mk IV with HH wings and a Jabiru 2200. I've had my PPL since 1983 and most recently was flying/owning (with one partner) a 1959 C172. Sold it almost two years ago with the intent of buying a Kitfox/Rans/Avid to be able to work on it myself - and to stay LSA as I'm getting to the point where passing a 3rd Class medical may be more difficult.

Always thought I'd buy a completed kit, but when this one hit Barnstormers (in VT, close to home) I couldn't pass it up! So my son-in-law and I will be working to complete this. Probably won't do much with this till the fall (other than sit in it and make plane noises) as my summer is already pretty busy.

I've been a member of the TeamKitfox forum since 2009 and have been trying to soak up as much information as possible. Being new to building, I know I'll ask some dumb questions and need your help - thanks in advance. Speaking of questions, I recently emailed Brett at Airdale with some general questions about my specific kit and am wondering how quickly he usually responds. I've posted a few pictures here to let you see what I have. I look forward to sharing progress and participating in this forum.

Rob Souza

post-1123-0-65337300-1430174492_thumb.jp

post-1123-0-85490400-1430174513_thumb.jp

post-1123-0-50999500-1430174531_thumb.jp

Posted

Appears to be an early J2200, what is the serial # and do you know if the con rods and any other upgrades have been done?

You will like the MK IV these are great little planes. Welcome to the Avid club.

Posted (edited)

Dumb questions? None here.

Watch the answers however. Sometimes the they become a little obtuse as the thread expands.  :tumbleweed:

Just a little fun. There are a number of knowledgeable and experienced people happy to share information.

Edited by KFfan

Posted

The Jab is a very early model and I doubt (but don't know for sure) that any of the upgrades you've mentioned have been done.

Posted

Rob,

Congrats on becoming a part of the "PWM - Pilots Without Medicals" AvidFoxFlyers.

There are a couple of guys with some Jab engine experience on here.

Maybe us Fox (Avid clone) flyers can answer some questions if you need advice.

EDMO

Posted

welcome rob ,congratulations on your purchase .

Posted

Rob, welcome to the forum glad to have you. the only dumb question is the one you failed to ask. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Brett to answer anything or even get parts out. I would ask them here and include pictures whenever possible. (if nothing else we all like to look at pictures) also there are many other outlets for parts besides airdale. I have a friend with the under camber wing and he just replaced his 582 with the jab engine and is seeing 100 mph indicated. you are going to have a great time building and eventually flying that bird. If I can give just one piece of advice it would be to just keep building even if its only one hour a day a couple days a week. the longer you allow it to sit the more you will loose motivation to finish it. oh and take lots of pictures. again welcome 

-Robert-

1 person likes this

Posted

I installed a Jabiru in a MK IV and flew it for about 450 hrs.  Later serial # than yours though.  #903.  You have the early heads on your engine.  There were some problems with cooling those heads, later engines have more fins ect.  There is a yahoo groups Jabiru engine group (Jabiruengines)  (one word on the yahoo groups)   that will help you learn more about these engines.  Various upgrades have been made, there are files showing when each up date happened by serial #.  Don't worry to much about the engine for now, work on the plane.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Thanks for the warm welcome! I would imagine cowl design and proper placement of the fiberglass plenum ducts that came with the engine will be critical. And based on my reading here it sounds like Ron Smith from All Pro Composites could be helpful in making a cowl that matches up with the plenums. I had thought about a Grand Rapids or MGL engine monitor - sounds like that may be more critical for this engine.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes Ron Smith can build the Jab cowl for you. I got one from him last year. One thing about being further north, (I'm in Mn) we don't get near as hot in the summer as people down south. That helps some with the cooling issues. Jim Chuk