Overhaul time!

122 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Joey,

If I was doing that job, I think I would raise my red lines up to try to get on a more flat vertical surface - then it would be easy to just drop the lower part whatever you need, and fill in the blank space with some flat-laid glass.

but, "more than one way to skin a cat" :huh:

EDMO

Taking a 2nd look - you have a seam or some crack in the center of the lower part .....Maybe replace?

Your red line don't clear the exhaust on one side enough..

Do you really need that hole for the plug wires?  -  Maybe an access plate there?

It's easy to 2nd guess - a little harder to make it right...

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed the B model cowl has a left and right side not a top and bottom. The seam you see is where the the two halves overlap and camlock together. Sorry my red lines were very roughly done just to see what peoples thoughts were on that concept.

Posted

I find it hard to make good curves without a mold - flats are much easier - hope I helped with my 2c worth.

EdMO

Posted (edited)

I think that is what I would do. Epoxy is my choice for building using the pug method (mold less ) it's easy to sand and fill. Just finished making a cowl for a friend's Pietenpol this winter and built one for my Q2 when installing the Jabiru. PM me if you would care for some suggestions and pictures and I will send my phone number so we can talk. What fun, wish I was there to help.

Edited by Paul S

Posted

Ive been out with the Airforce jet the past week and while I was gone my engine arrived from Rotax Rick. He sent back the Pistons and Rods so thought I'd post some pics. As I mentioned earlier the Mag piston was scuffed some on the intake side but it was far from the worst piston I've seen. Domes were pretty clean and very little under the rods. These parts had 352 hrs on them and were ran with mostly Chevron 92 Octane and Amsoil Saber Professional at 100:1.

Also tonight I rebuilt my carbs using a Bing rebuild kit, and put new rubber mounts on my motor mounts. Finally I opened up my box from Bob and checked out my new exhaust parts he hooked me up with. I think part of my leak problem was with my elbow. It's about 1/2 shorter than a stock Rotax elbow. Hoping this helps out with my alignment issue I've had since day one. 

DSC_0650.jpg

Intake side Mag piston

DSC_0652.jpg

Dome

DSC_0654.jpg

DSC_0653.jpg

DSC_0656.jpg

DSC_0655.jpg

The exhaust elbow differences

IMG_7651.jpg

Posted

I would have been interested in seeing a picture of the opposite side of the piston as well.  Also, recently some of bings floats didn't float very well.  I imagine you are aware of that though.  Just a heads up if not.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Jim,

Same piston exhaust side

DSC_0657.jpg

Other piston....

DSC_0658.jpg

Posted

Well it's not much but at least it's progress. Rebuilt my Bings and synched up all the settings yesterday. Painted my exhaust with header paint and replaced my motor mounts this morning. Also reinstalled my Y pipe using the gaskets and shiny new bolts that came with my Avid barn find. Just that one box of random stuff was 25 percent of what I paid for that whole airplane.

post-40-0-07348100-1434915984_thumb.jpg

post-40-0-08570000-1434916143_thumb.jpg

Posted

27" Dessers on the way! I've been out in the Pacific the past week on the big jet. Hoping to get most everything back together this coming weekend.

2 people like this

Posted

Let us know what that does to your cruise speed. I would love a pair of them on my Kitfox

Posted

Made some good progress plumbing the engine today. I wasn't real impressed with Rotax Ricks wiring job so I cut all the zip ties and started over. I reinstalled my overflow bottle and key west regulator. I also did the most of the wiring and a ton of the little stuff that eats up hours and doesn't show any noticeable gain. Hoping to have it ready to fire on Sunday.

Posted

I finally got the better part of a day to wrench on the Avid today. I got all the plumbing done minus one hose that I am going to have to buy. I am pretty happy with how my cooling plumbing turned out. I also wired in the Key West regulator. It needs coolant and the prop and one last lookover and it'll be ready to fire. Next up will be the cowling project.

That is a Kitfox filler neck. That was my solution to the side radiator removal. I put it up as high as I could. It's actually about 1" higher now than the top of the side radiator filler neck was. The black lower line is the vent to the pump and the other one obviously goes to the overflow bottle. Does anyone see anything with this set up that raises a flag? My homemade hose for the head bypass actually worked out really well and clears everything better than the factory hose did. The hose from the thermostat housing to the filler neck was just a random hose off the wall from Napa Auto Parts.

plumbing.jpg

Lowered the radiator down 2" right off the bat. It's mostly clear of the muffler now.

plumbing%202.jpg

My daughter enjoying herself running around the airport bare feet and playing in my plane. Blessed that she enjoys time at the hangar with Daddy.

kylie%20w%20plane.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

You, also, are fortuneate.

I remember hours of my youngest daughter spending time in the barn with me.

Always wrenching on something. Its amazing how self-reliant she now is. :sharedoobie:

Posted

Pulled my bird put into the sun today and fired the motor. Everything works as it did before and no leaks. Have several more loose ends to finish up and she should be ready to fly.

Posted

More progress this weekend. All that is left is to service my shocks, install my Matco Master Cylinder Intensifiers, and bleed the brakes. I am running out of time before I head back to the sandbox so I just made a temp patch for the side of my cowl so that I can fly it for a little bit before I leave.

Think my business will take off??

ghetto.jpg

The pile of stuff that came off the nose. Haven't weighed it but it's significant.

pile.jpg

Posted

I like the patch!

My belly mount radiator is working well. Probably the best test I have had so far was yesterday with OAT around 100°. I stayed in the pattern and did 5 take-offs and landings. I was also climbing at around 1000 fpm with my speedwing at around 75 mph. My water temp never went over 170°. The only problem I seem to be having is melting the left side muffler mount rubber. I have gotten good at making these. I just wish I could find a better material that would be more heat resistant. I have been using pieces cut from the sidewalls of an old tire and have also tried using the rubber muffler hanger material from the local auto part/aircraft supply. I wish I could find a high heat silicone sheet of some sort that would work. I think the melting is caused by higher heat build up in my cowling due to the air splitter I made to keep the muffler heat from going through radiator. That splitter made a 40° temp difference in my water temp.

I will be interested to see how yours does with just the belly radiator.

Dan

Posted

Thanks Dan. Hoping to Test fly this week. I've been flying a ton on the KC-10 the last month. I am in Fairbanks AK now.

Posted

That thing is so bloody big, can't you just bring the Avid along and fly it inside the cabin?

1 person likes this

Posted

This morning Tony from TK1 racing flew in and set up my shocks for me. After some adjustments and taxi testing I put the cowl on and flew it. Water temp came up to 175 and stayed there which is exactly where I was hoping it would run. Engine runs nice. First landing on the new gear and tires got my attention. I was on the ground before I thought I even needed to flare. The sight picture is completely different. I only put about 30 mins on it over the top of the field and didn't get any good data. More info to come as I get a little more time on it.

2 people like this

Posted

We need pictures of your new ride Joey.

Posted

yes pictures please .the sound the tires make on asphalt crack me up evertime I land . bwwuaarrt

Posted

Mike,

Every time (very seldom) my tires squeeeek instead of squalk or bounce, I go into a trance, and forget to remove flaps, apply brakes, and other things which seem unimportant at the time!

EdMO

Posted

Very cool Joey!!

Posted

Pulled it out today to make room for my new toy. I picked up another Powered Parachute. I used to fly one of these things all over the US and even got my start in the Idaho Backcountry in one.

first%20shots%201.jpg

outside%202.jpg

Here's a first. It rolls so much easier now that I had to chock it out in front of my hangar in a breeze. Before I would just stick it down in the low spot where the water drains and it never moved. I did that today and I looked up and it was rolling backwards!!! Wind wasn't that strong. You can tell even moving it in and out of the hangar that the rolling resistance is much less now.

image1.jpg

hangar.jpg

And then there were three!

This thing came with a very impressive set of records.

records.jpg

Here's an old thread I dug up from before I started flying my Avid to Idaho. Have came a long ways but sure had a lot of fun with old PPC. Glad to have another one in the barn.

http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?/topic/331-idaho-backcountry-flying-in-a-powered-parachute/

Posted

Joey,

Did you see the flying inflatable I put on your post in other aircraft?   PPC or something on floats!

EdMO