Overhaul time!

122 posts in this topic

Posted

Yes Ed there are some neat machines out there. Also got your PM Thanks. I just need to get some more time on it is all. Between not flying it for 3 months and the new sight picture I am pretty rusty.

Posted

So with the big tires did it knock down your cruise speed or didn't you notice much.

Posted

I've only flown it in cruise at fairly low altitude but my initial impressions are that if I did lose some speed it's not mind blowing. They are heavier but when you look at them straight on I think they are actually more aerodynamic than my nancos. Those things had a 13" wide flat foot print sticking out there in the wind. The Dessers are crowned like a real tire should be. In any the case for the type of flying that I typically do they penalties outweigh the cost.

Posted

Joey,

Are the fires getting close to your home?

EdmO

Posted

No Ed we are only 35 miles East of San Fran. Fires are all 100 miles or better to the East.

Posted (edited)

Oh, Joey, I thought you were in the north end of the state where the (Valley?) fire is raging now.

Glad your home is not near that, with all the traveling you have to do.

I see where 8.4 million acres total has burned out West.

I think 9 million acres in Alaska burned one year when I was there.

Stay safe,

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

hello joey , i'm curious about how you done with the cowl  :)

Posted

I had to put my project on hold for a 3 month all expenses vacation to the Middle East. I am deployed for a while yet but will get to it after I get back. I found a 3 time Rutan builder who is going to school me on glass work.

Posted

ok ! a lot of pics will be helping me cause i'm same  as you with a my mod C cowl  :beerchug:

Posted

Speed wings and bush tires....

I just bought a MkIV with Speed wing and intended to look for HH wings. I want a bush plane, but it looks like your doing all right at 1000FPM?  Would you suggest I just run it as is and not hassle with finding a new set of STOL wings?

Posted

I just bought a MkIV with Speed wing and intended to look for HH wings. I want a bush plane, but it looks like your doing all right at 1000FPM?  Would you suggest I just run it as is and not hassle with finding a new set of STOL wings?

I have STOL HH wings not speed wings. Never flown one but I've never heard anything good about standard width speed wings as far as performance goes. With extensions they are comparable.

Posted (edited)

I have a 582 with the extended speed wings.  Today I set up traffic cones on either side of the runway at 250' intervals to practice spot landings.  When I got it right, I could put it down and stop it all within one set of cones or about 200'.   With flaps and a short field take off run up, it will also leave the ground in about 250-300'. 

The wings are also aerobatic.  Yours probably are too.  This is the fun part...  I can dive down and get in ground effect at WOT and get it to ~100MPH by the end of the 1600' rwy.  Then pull back and LAUNCH like a little rocket 1500+ FPM climb for about 7-800' and let it go 0g ballistic over the top or bank it hard while pulling and fly a tight 2g chandelle back up into the pattern.

The best part is, I'm doing all this while dragging my nose around.

I don't know why everyone is so down on speedwings.  I'm having a ball with mine. :BC:

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted

I have a question, what makes the wings Aerobatic?

Posted

They're documented as aerobatic, 6g+ 3g-.  From what I can see,  7/8" struts, and ribs spaced 12 feet apart. 

Posted

They're documented as aerobatic, 6g+ 3g-.  From what I can see,  7/8" struts, and ribs spaced 12 feet apart. 

I hope you mean 12 inches....

Posted (edited)

I hope you mean 12 inches....

I vote for 12 INCHES between ribs - And, a lot shorter than your standard Kitfox wings.  I don't know if they changed the drag braces from regular Avid....and/or the strut attach measurements.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Yikes! lol :)  yes - 12 INCHES.  

Posted

2 people like this

Posted

The aerobatic clipped wings on the Avid also had the thicker walled (.083") spars, rather than the .065" spars.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I sometimes enjoy watching someone do aerobatics, but I prefer just flying smoothly and enjoying the ride.

EDMO

Posted

Also, just as a side note, look at the wings on the plane in the video I posted.  You will see the flapperons go all the way to the wing tips. 

This is the stock Speedster wing from Kitfox.  It only differs from the standard wing by being shortened one rib bay at the end.  Still using the same .065" spar.

Posted

Cool plane, great flying!  I'd like to do that one day :)  

I really like that go-fast paint job too