LED landing lights

31 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone find a good LED light suitable as a landing light without the certified aircraft prices associated with Aeroled type lights?

I'd like to find a 2" round or square size...

Posted

I like my vision x lights. Draw next to no juice and are bright. I have the spot light on one side and flood light on the other side on the gear legs.

:BC:

Posted

Got a link?

Posted (edited)

With more power from the Soob alternator, I like the HID 4" spot drawing 2.9 amps and 3500 raw lumens.  This might be a little too much draw for the 2-cycle engines, but you only use it for a minute or so.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I use that big ball of fire in the sky as my landing light :)

Posted (edited)

TJay,

don't schedule any day-flights for 17 August 2017 - That big light is going to be turned off here for a while!  :lol:

You can always carry a portable light with 3 million cp, mount it in your cowl with a remote switch, or the big tactical flashlight the NRA sells with a Zillion cp hanging on your door!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I like my vision x lights. Draw next to no juice and are bright. I have the spot light on one side and flood light on the other side on the gear legs.

30 as a spot and a 60 as a flood?

Posted

30 as a spot and a 60 as a flood?

I think that is what I have.  I cant swear to it but I can double check when I get off the slope.

Posted (edited)

10 degrees is normal for a spot light - I think.   30 degrees would be 3 times as wide.

If I used my calculator right, at 1000 feet, a 10 degree light would light a circle 170 feet in diameter, so at 500 feet the beam would be about 85 feet wide....and at 100 feet it would be a 17 foot circle, not including the refracted scattered light.  That is figuring from the bulb, but if this should be figured from the 2" reflector, then those areas would be wider :huh: Of course, the circle would actually be an oval, depending on angle of plane to the ground.

EDMO

The Big Birds my only use 2 degree landing lights and some floodlights?

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Also check out Crazed Pilot 

http://www.crazedpilot.com/

Lots of cool stuff ... LED landing lights too.

Brian

Posted

Brian

I was informed by someone who purchased those wig-wag strobes, they do not perform well and are fairly flimsy.

Lou

Posted

10 degrees is normal for a spot light - I think. 30 degrees would be 3 times as wide.

If I used my calculator right, at 1000 feet, a 10 degree light would light a circle 170 feet in diameter, so at 500 feet the beam would be about 85 feet wide....and at 100 feet it would be a 17 foot circle, not including the refracted scattered light. That is figuring from the bulb, but if this should be figured from the 2" reflector, then those areas would be wider :huh: Of course, the circle would actually be an oval, depending on angle of plane to the ground.

EDMO

And I get crap for over analyzing things 😜

Posted (edited)

Joey, 

I think you were probably sipping Hawaiin Punch - somebody has to do your analyzing

while you act like a beach bum!

If I wanted the best landing lights and had the battery/alternator, like the Subaru, to handle them, I would go with the rectangular HID $potlights by XeVision.  They each pull about 8 amps at startup, and about 3 amps after that.

Leni says the LED spotlights will work for him with 582, he has posted a photo of the VisionX spotlight before -

The Wig-wag Crazed Pilots lights are not landing lights.

EdMO 

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Don't know anybody flying their Avids at night. The low draw LEDs work great for seeing other airplanes in the air. After all the midairs lately I am adding one so hopefully other people can see me better in the pattern. I only have the crappy little strobe on top of my vertical stab.

Posted (edited)

They have different lighting rules in Alaska with all the high summer traffic, and low-light time in the winter -

not much daylight to fly in winter. 

Most of our little birds don't have the instruments to be legal for night flight anyway.

Being a lifetime (born) night owl, and retired night-shifter, I usually don't get airborne until late in the day, and try to fudge in a twilight landing just after sundown, knowing that the Father of American Aviation don't like for me to fly after dark without a medical - Really cant see why - I passed last DL eye test without glasses, and I am not colorblind! 

EdMO

being "El Cheapo", I wont buy the rectangular XeVision HID lights even if a new one is on ebay Aviation Parts now for $300, when new retail price is $550 each, because Uncle wont let me fly at night anyway.

I happened to find a pair of new fairly small rectangular driving lights a long time ago, real cheap. 

They are 100 watt Halogen, and not the usual 50 watt bulbs you find in the fog light section, 

I saw some small LED lights there at Wallyworld today that might make good Wig-Wag Lights, both 2" small round, and flat / long, and cost $25 to $35 a pair, cheaper on ebay.  Autoparts stores usually stock the wig-wag gizmo that alternates lights, or find cheaper ones, direct from China, on ebay autoparts.

I am looking at 6-LED, 18 watt wig-wag light bars to go in front of my wing spar strut fittings - a high-drag area anyway.

I have a new set of the Crazed Pilot LED wig-wags that I am not going to use - would sell below cost.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Has anyone tried one of the higher capacity "Crazed Pilot" wig-wag controllers, yet?

http://www.crazedpilot.com/aircraft-strobe-light-led-landing-lights-wig-wag-controller/

1 person likes this

Posted

I have one and so far its working great.  Its been on the plane for over a year now.

Posted

Does anyone have a picture of how the landing lights are mounted?

I really like the idea but don't know where I would put it.

Posted

D.I.Y. mount using Grove landing gear bracket attach bolt to fuselage forward float fitting..

Posted (edited)

I don't consider these as "Landing Lights" - Just recognition lights, and possibly a taxi light.  I don't have photos right now, but Akflyer has a LED Landing light he uses,  and a couple of us have bought some other LED lights which are flatter and mount under the wing at the strut attach fitting.

I have a new, unused, set of these wig-wag lights that I would take $25 for and free shipping.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Do they make two different controllers?

Or is the one you have, Leni, the same as the one Ed has?

Posted

I've already got a set of Vision-X lights mounted in the wing tips.  I was hoping to use one of these controllers to get the wig-wag feature.  I have no intention of using them as "landing" lights, more as recognition lights. 

Posted

Do they make two different controllers?

Or is the one you have, Leni, the same as the one Ed has?

Does anyone know this?