Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

QUESTION: BOLT HOLDING SMALL GEAR?

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The bolt that holds the small redrive gear to the crank - Is it right or left threads?  Do you need an impact wrench to remove it?  Does the gear slip off easily, or do you need a puller?

I am parting out my 532.

Thanks,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I can't remember the rotation but I think its standard right hand thread.  Yes you need a gear puller for it.  Is this for your 532?  I have a puller for both the B box and the C box.  I can send you the puller for the B box if you need so you dont have to buy one.

:BC:

Posted

Thanks Leni,

I probably have a puller if I can find it - still got stuff from Alaska that I haven't unpacked.

Yes,  I am parting out my 532.

I will let you know if I need to borrow a puller - maybe someone closer has one?

EdMO

Posted

it threads into the end of the gear, a normal gear puller will bugger it up!  if you don't have the right puller I can send you mine, its not very big and will fit easily in a 5.00 priority mail box... I owe ya something for that throttle set up anyways Mr!

Posted (edited)

Please Send it Leni - I got the bolt out, and see that my puller will not reach into the adapter plate to grab the gear.

I have already posted my redrive on ebay with the small gear included.

I will return it as soon as I get the gear off.

Ashby

1796 Orchard Drive

Arnold, MO 63010-2424

Thanks,

EDMO

Good thing you told me about threading into the gear - I thought the bolt only threaded into the crank!

don't quite understand that....

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

take a look at this picture.  You put the "button" in the end of the gear then thread the puller into the end of the gear.  The "button" keeps the bolt from going into the threads in the end of the crank shaft.  You then tighten the bolt and it pulls the gear off.  Simple Simon Mr.

I will call the wife in a few when she gets home and I will try to vector to the puller so she can box it up for you.  If that don't work, I will send it out to you Saturday when I get home.

post-2-0-86916100-1431462235.jpg

Posted (edited)

Simple - Once you know how!

If there is any doubts about her sending the wrong puller, Saturday will be fine.

Is the round, flat object near the carbs a fuel pump?  You can tell that I know very little about these engines.

Two dead stick landings in 20 hours was enough for me! And in a taildragger!

Guess I will strip and sell any parts I can, and then see if anyone wants the block, crank and pistons ....

or make a flower pot?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Some times these gears are really stuck on.  I've used a three jaw puller that I ground on the jaws to fit around the back of the gear.  Then wired the jaws together so they wouldn't slip off the gear.  Tightened as much as I dared, then apply a bit of heat to the gear with a propane torch.  Pretty quick, a good "POP"  and the first time you do this you catch the gear with bare hands and then not near quickly enough let it fall to the floor.  Next time you hopefully remember to wear thick leather gloves in the final stages of this operation.   I did this on an A box on a 532 as well.   With a C box it's easy to make a puller.  Ed, I'm posting a picture of a Mikuni fuel pump, is this what you are asking about in your last post?  Jim Chuk

post-329-0-67560600-1431465486.jpg

Posted

Thanks for the advice Jim,

Yes, that's what I was asking about - going to add it to the carbs and filter for sale.

EDMO

Posted

Just a heads up, its Not good practice to use impact wrench on crank shaft. If you pull off the Pulse line tube you can slice a small non hardened screw driver into a slot built into the crankshaft, then warm up around the bolt a bit just to loosen the locktite and then loosen the bolt.

Posted (edited)

Thanks TJay,

That would probably work if I knew what a "pulse line tube" was!   I got the bolt out with a 3/4" box wrench hitting it with my hand....Jammed the piston TDC with a ratchet handle stuck in the exhaust port.

Probably going to sell the crank and block for a boat anchor after I strip it!  I have a little anger at this engine!  :lol:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri