Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Top Covering (Model III)

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Ready to cover the top of the fuselage and have a question. The manual indicates to cover all the way up to the bar which the seatbelts attach to (centerline attach point on the fuselage).

Question is, any reason to go that far? Why not just stop at the bar where the aft end of the turtle deck attaches to. Would like to have the additional access to the fusalage (if ever needed).

Any feedback on one way vs the other?

Larry S.

Posted (edited)

I went to the back of the turtle deck. But I also have a large modified baggage area. I have aluminum covers along the sides to prevent "debris" from getting into the tail.

My yellow plane is to the same spot (small oem baggage sack) which then leaves open from the turtle deck into the tail of the plane.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

I have mine open to the back of the turtle deck as well.  I would not cover it up any farther than that.

:BC:

Posted

Extending the top cover might have caught some of the leaks for the guys with the hinge in the turtledeck, but if you make your turtledeck solid with no hinges, there is no need to bring it forward more than the end of the turtledeck.

EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the replies on this.  Gonna stop it at the back of the turtle deck.

1 person likes this

Posted

Only builders care about what is on the inside, but Everyone likes to see a nice paint job - Post some photos when it looks good.

EDMO

Posted

Will post some pics soon.  Tail feathers have been painted. Fuselage will start the paint proess next Friday (22nd). 

Posted

Here are a few pics of the progress.  Will finish the fuselage this weekend.

DSCN3373_zpshksxn0hy.jpg

DSCN3388_zpseyrkp6ha.jpg

DSCN3390_zpslyk7ia4v.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Looking good - is that Stewarts green glue?

I have sort of a WARNING for you:

We (my flying buddy) sprayed the J3 with Stewarts 2 years ago - He is OK - But his wife now has a nerve problem that the doctors cannot diagnose - I think she got some of the paint fumes even outside the paint booth - She was in ICU and in coma a while back - Now is out of hospital and seemingly doing fair - But grounded from flying by doctors who don't know what is wrong with her.  I think it is from the isocyanates in the paint.

They are in their 70's.

I will use the glue, but not that kind of paint or primer - the primer will not hold up against mogas - it crinkles.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Yes, it is Stewarts glue, however the follow on process is Poly Fiber.

1 person likes this

Posted

I've got to check out Polyfiber again - been a long time - I was considering Superflight primer, but the paint is too high, and I am not going to spray any Polyurethane or anything with the bad stuff in it.

EdMO

Posted

Ed, go rent a fresh air hood and put a tyvek suit on then paint what ever stuff you want. I uses a north half mask when I painted and with the box fans suckling the booth out I didn't have any issues. I don't like painting in a fog lol :BC:

Posted (edited)

The Mayor of my town has a body shop about 2 blocks away from me, and my next door neighbor's son also has a body shop - First thing I will do is get a shop hourly rate from both, and see how it goes from there.  My old lungs are not great and I am not a painter - Just ask my wife!  (and I hope no one ever tells her differently!)

My flying buddy is pushing 80, and his wife is now ill, so don't think he will want to paint another one, but his son is an excellent painter and I might catch him on vacation.

EdMO

Do you think Aerothane is very much better than Polytone, or whatever they are called now?

I probably wont keep this plane more than 5 years.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

None of these paints spray like automotive finishes. None of them. If you try to spray them like an automotive finish it will not turn out well. Some of the worst poly tone jobs I have seen were by body guys. The best ones are by the armatures with nothing to un-learn.

If you don't want to paint, get Orotex.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Cant afford Orotex for a cheap plane like mine - Maybe I can hire the guy who cleans the body shop?

Then, there is always house paint and a roller!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri