Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

desser 27" tundra

38 posts in this topic

Posted

Got my new tires today and pretty impressed with them .they shipped at 18 pounds each. Nice shape.and really supple .finish the mounting tommorow and try em out

post-574-0-90598200-1433815086_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-23930400-1433815220_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-50920700-1433815296_thumb.jpg

post-574-0-90051500-1433815356_thumb.jpg

5 people like this

Posted

Haha.  I just posted a link to these photos on TKF in Joey's rebuild thread...

Looks really good.  I see you've done the dual caliper mod as well, too.

Posted (edited)

Hard to take my eyes off of that Super paint job to look at the tires and new landing gear - 8" wheels, I guess?

New W/B now?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Wow Mike! you just keep making that bird nicer all the time. Those tires are awesome, and to think I was excited when I got the 21 " Nancos  :lmao: Can't wait for your PIREP

Posted

I've been following these for a year now. I'd like to see some good numbers on weight compared to the Nancos. I just spent a pile of money on my plane but these may be next on the list.

They claim 20.5 lbs each. I have a new set of Nancos in the hangar will have to weigh one. Ed yes they are for an 8" rim. They should work with the 8" Douglas rims.

http://www.desser.com/store/products/27%7B47%7D10%252d8-4-PLY-AERO-CLASSIC-SMOOTH-TUNDRA.html

Posted

they are on 8" douglas wheels.they actually shipped at 39 pounds .maybe a pound of plastic on them.that would put them around 19 ea. 

I think I might do a  light weight battery to eat in to that.

ive also been waiting that year too, been calling desser every two weeks for three months.hopefully we have a lower cost alt to the abw

Posted

Your bird is turning into one seriously hot looking plane!!!! :)

Posted

That looks awesome!!

Posted

What are you using for a brake set up?

1 person likes this

Posted

Those tires look awesome! They are 8's not 6's? What's the price?

Posted

Chris these are the tires I was talking about when we were on the phone Sunday. There's a link in my first reply in the thread. 8" wheel $395 a tire. You can also google Desser 27"

Posted

Just looked again. they say 22 inch (maybe, my 21 ribbed arent quite 21) but they weigh in at only 10lb which is a lot less unsprung weight.

......But they don't look as cool and prolly won't suck up terrain like 27 inches will!

Posted

That is one beautiful sexy bird!  11th commandment, though shalt not covet thy fellow forum members airplane... well guess I can add that one to the list of rules I have broken!

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Chris,

Wasn't the 21-800-6 about $150?   I notice the 22-850-6 is $225 ?

Guessing the difference wouldn't be worth $75 each?  Both are 4 ply and about 10 lbs.

Guess I will try to wear out my 19-600-6  4 ply 7lbs supply unless I start landing in the swamps...

but, I still have "Big Tire" envy and love his paint job....My wife says, "Its OK to look - Just don't touch!"

EDMO

I just checked - the 21-800 ribbed are only $110 - The "Buffed" smooth are more....I could buy a set, and start selling my 600's.....Hmm....

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I want!  I have a set of the Kitfox douglas wheels to use, just wondering if a single caliper is enough per side, Im thinking not....

1 person likes this

Posted

I got the 21 X 800 ribbed for my Flat Avid tri gear project. They were just over $100 a pop. They can be bought "buffed" apparently too. Didn't know that till yesterday. That would lighten them up a bit but would also take away useful life. They are as big as I want to run on a tri gear Avid.

I think those 22 X 850's look like the perfect all 'round tire for tailwheel operations, and the 27's look sick for rougher stuff at a fraction of what I spent on my 29 inch ABWs!

Posted

Chris,

I cant correct your post - But, I think you meant "slick" and not "sick" regarding the 27s for rough work!  I agree...

EDMO

Posted

I want! I have a set of the Kitfox douglas wheels to use, just wondering if a single caliper is enough per side, Im thinking not....

I think single pucks will work marginally if you have good pedal geometry. I would go double pucks though. You can get a bolt on kit from Matco to add another caliper to each wheel.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I think that it was said that the desser 21-800-6 would take 800-6 tubes - Does that mean that my used Airstreak 800-6 tubes will work, or would I have to buy new tubes too?   What air pressure is needed?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

800-6 tubes are fine.  That's what I have on my yellow plane.

I'm running the 21x800-6 tubeless on my Mangy Fox. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks Larry,

I don't know if my Grove wheels are tubeless or not - will have to take them apart someday - Well, any dummy can tell by the fill valve, and mine look like tubes, but still cant tell if the wheels could be tubeless - does that make sense?

Guess I could take the number from the wheels and look it up, or ask Grove.

I may also have a set of 850-6 tubes that I will probably never use...Got lots of 600 tires and tubes - that's my nose tire, and right now my mains too.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

IF there's a groove in the split faces for an o-ring to seal them, you have the tubeless wheels.

1 person likes this

Posted

Desser recommends a 700x800-6 tube with the 21 inch tire.

Posted

No I meant SICK as in very neat, cool awesome.

Must be hanging around too many young kayakers. "That waterfall looks SICK!"