Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New guy

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi everyone

I have been lurking on this forum for awhile and decided to say hello and tell a little about myself. I have an KF IV with speedster wing which is almost ready for cover. It is powered by Subaru NSI. I have really learned a lot on this forum and want to tell everyone to keep up the good work. I also have an RV-4 and a 177RG Cardinal. I operate out of my own 2400' grass strip and base one aircraft at M44 in Northeast Mississippi. I am really glad to see more Subie owners and hope to lean more as I go. Anyway there's the brief bio.

Mike

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Welcome Mike,

Always glad to have another in the one minority group with me -

The other minority group I belong to is the nose draggers!

There are some Soob flyers on here and a couple of builders - Seems like one of each kind of EA-81 is represented, and all have their differences.   Is your NSI a turbocharged?  My Kitfox 1 had one in it. 

I think C5Engineer Joey still has an NSI that used to be in a plane.  He probably knows more about them?

My current scratch builder (modified Kitfox clone) has a Dave Johnson engine and redrive.  

A few on here have the Stratus engine.

Post up some photos - All of us are happy to be Lookers, and always want to hear more about building and flying.

Good Flying,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Welcome to the forum! Super excited to see people come out of the shadows and post. I have an NSI with only break in time if you ever need parts. Have tried to sell it a few times with no luck. It was on my plane when I found it back in 06. Post up some pictures of your bird when you get a chance. Again welcome!

Posted

Welcome to the speaking side of the group! The more voices the better :-) I also have a NSI sube that came on a Kitfox 4 project I picked up last summer. Just ran it a little bit. Didn't have fuel line hooked up to the carb so just was filling the float bowl. Was thinking if I could show a video of it running, it would sell better. Still have it, maybe I wanted to much. Anyway, welcome, and post away, and the more the merrier. Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I wish these NSI engines would have been for sale when I bought my belt drive - I like the part where you shut the engine down and the prop keeps spinning -  Who said, "I just tell everyone watching that I have a turbine engine!"?

Wish I had thought of that !

EDMO

Guess the only downside to them is that you cant hand-prop, or do an air-start without a working starter...

I don't know if you can air-start any 4-cycle with a redrive either - Never tried, and hope I don't have to try...

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks Guys. I'll try to get some pictures on soon. Yes the NSI is what will be used to get this bird flying.

Posted

Sorry Ed

My NSI is non turbo,dual electronic ignition, TBI. Sure seems like a nice setup.

Posted (edited)

Mike,

Turbo horsepower would be great, but just too heavy for any of our birds except the Magnum - TBI and dual ignition are nice.  I have a single, Holly 5200 carb, but thinking about TBI someday.

I extended my leading edges about 4" to balance out my Soob engine and nosegear on my short Foxy.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri