Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Brake Build Question

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I am putting together the brakes on a model III and have a question regarding a need for clearance between the caliper mount and the allen head screws which attach everything to the gear. Below are a few pics. The interference blocks about 1/2 of the ultimate travel. Maybe this is not needed? Does the install look correct?

DSCN3504_zpsrpsfjbxy.jpg

DSCN3505_zpsidlaoeji.jpg

Posted

The revised Model 4 manual (1996) says to file material from the brake calipers if the mounting hardware impinges on the caliper before it completes its travel to one side or the other.  My original manual did not include these instructions.  The diagram shows arrows pointing to the area where the bolt heads interfere with the caliper in your photo.

I used a round file to file both the inside caliper and outside caliper on my brakes to clear the mounting bolt heads and nuts.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Are the heads of the Allen bolts sitting in counterbored spots?  If not, then you could change to a thin hex head bolt, or use an allen lock washer under the hex bolt to fit in the counterbore -

Or, you can grind some off of the allen heads and it wont hurt them.  I have ground 1/2 head height off before.

There is also a round-head (button-head) allen bolt that has a shallow head - if you can find them.

EDMO

If I had designed this setup, I would have countersinked the holes and used flat-head allen bolts, or the equivalent,

rather than grinding on anything.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

You want the plates to sit flat on the backing plate past the heads. I had to clearance mine slightly with my new pads. Take out one bolt on the caliper and allow it to swing out of the way and then try it. I was just dealing with this last weekend.

Posted

Looks like I completely missed the boat on this one - Missed the first photo showing the Allen heads were just at the edge of the plate - The KISS principle just to file, grind to clear the heads, like Joey did, is the best solution.

EDMO

Posted

Thanks for the feedback on this.  Going to mill out some clearance tonight.