Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

BLACK ENGINE?

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Dave Johnson, rest his soul, painted all of his Subaru engines and redrives solid Black - You cant hardly see anything under the cowl and hard to spot leaks, loose wires, etc.  I don't like Black engines or mounts - You can spot cracks in a white mount a lot easier.

I don't want my engine and redrive to end up looking like a spotted cow if the new paint comes off after I repaint it a light color with a rattle can -

What is my best option to clean it for painting?  spray with what kind of thinner? Paint stripper? 

I don't want to damage the belt on the redrive.   I have removed the alternator.

No sandblast either!

I know to cover the distributer and carb ....Oilpan and rocker covers are no problem - I can always pull them off later.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Possibly a soda blast? This is an extremely efficient way of removing paint and not damaging the item being prepared.

Don't have any electrical items present as soda will destroy these due to corrosion

An ultra high pressure water blast may work but keep away from bearings and gaskets

Posted (edited)

Thanks Dusty, 

But believe I will find a kinder, gentler, cheaper, way to get this engine ready for some new paint.

I am hoping that a light spraydown with paint or lacquer thinner will get the paint to stick.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Are you disassembling the engine for inspection and re-gasketing? Then hot-tank components and paint.

If not, tear down as far as long block. Clean with degreaser and scotch right pads, prime with self etching primer and paint.

Posted

If the original black paint has good adheshion, use a wax and grease removerand clean it, then scuff it real good with a red Scotchbrite pad,. Blow it off and reclean it with the wax and grease remover again. Tape up anything that you don't want paint on and spray it with Bulldog adhesion promoter as per instructions. It is then ready to be painted any color you like.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks for the info - Engine only has 75 hours SMOH - I may just remove covers and paint them for now - "if it aint broke, don't fix it" !

EDMO

Posted

"Dads" brand paint stripper is what you want. Apply with the supplied little spray bottle. Stays in place. Scrape and wire brush of the old paint. Re apply if you didn't get everything. Doesn't stink too much but wear gloves and safety glasses. In Canada it's around $50 a gallon. You probably need a quart.

Posted

Thanks for the info.

If this rain don't let up I'm going to need to start building an arc!

EDMO

Posted (edited)

Sube engine mount. Hello Ed. I have a Dave Johnson re-drive on my sube. My mount is repairable but it did get tweaked a little with my nose second(first) landing. Do you know where Dave Johnson got the engine mounts. My is a dynafocal style. The metal parts of the bushing mounts are bright blue. Maybe stratus? The other update is I bought another plane while the Avid is getting fixed. I scored an awesome deal on a 912 powered lil buzzard. It's a Canadian produced variant of a Merlin GT. Going to do some familiarizing today. Cheers. B

Edited by IFMT

Posted (edited)

IFMT,

My mount is from a Pelican -  Not dynafocal - Think Dave made it, and it don't look like Stratus mounts do - Reiner Hoffman has an ebay ad right now - maybe I might be able to copy it? - for some Stratus mounts and engine oil pan, rocker covers, but they don't look dynafocal -  I was tempted to buy his red pan and covers - may try?

You got any photos?  My mount don't even come close to fitting Avid or Kitfox - had to modify fuselage for it.

Congrats on new 912 plane - should be great flying!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri