Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NEW MEMBERS - POST UP- JOIN THE CROWD

26 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Out of more than 1100 members, there are only a handful that do any writing on here -

POST UP what you are flying - We love photos and stories -

We are a varied bunch - some flew with Moses - others are just out of diapers -

Some fly old fashioned taildraggers, and some use modern nose gear engineering -

Some have chainsaw engines, and others have car engines, or Lycosaurus or Contisaurus engines.

Some will kid you - But we are all very serious when it comes to helping others.

POST UP - and let us rest a little and get to know you - We don't bite - at least not too hard!

This is not a site like some others, where you get excommunicated for putting a whizbang on your plane that was not "factory authorized", or say "Your paint job is shitty, and you can't fly with us!"

The flyers and builders on here are "real", and we expect you to be the same!

So - POST UP - Get your 2 Cents worth on here!  Don't just be an outsider!

Cheers,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

...some of us are back in diapers and feeling confidant and comfortable!  :stirthepot:

Lou

Posted

Your right Ed, I have been on this site acouple of years but haven't added much.

I am going to start a thread on converting a early Kitfox clone called a Raven to an electric motor from a Zero motorcycle.

Also Ed, do you still have the flaperon for a early Kitfox?

Wayne

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Wayne,

Glad to hear that you are going to be posting.   I have one flaperon - think it is left??? - from Kitfox 1, but it is just too much trouble and expensive to ship - I would sell it for pick up only.   Where are you located?  I am 25 miles south of St. Louis, down I-55 at Arnold, MO.

EDMO

Interesting concept with the electric motored Raven - I have been waiting for some genius to come up with a hybred that uses a 16 hp lawnmower engine or chainsaw engine to run a generator that would turn the prop motor instead of heavy batteries...but then, you still have engine, generator, oil, fuel, weight, so nothing is easy!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed I tried to pm you but you must not have got it. I will be going thru your area on way to Oshkosh and would like to stop by. Could you let me know how to get there.

Wayne

Posted (edited)

Wayne,   I have sent you two PM messages, directions and phone number.  When will you be in Arnold?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

An electric raven sounds intriguing!  What are you planning for batteries and how long of a flight time are you projecting you will get off a charge?

Welcome aboard.

:BC:

Posted

The Zero model S motorcycle has a 54hp motor and different battery packs. Check out their website: Zeromotorcycles.com for more info.

There is also stuff on youtube about the e-gull which used the Zero model S setup

.I am going to Oshkosh to learn more about different options for electric power.

Wayne

Posted

Wayne,

I have a Raven/Kitfox 1 copy hanging in my shop ceiling - if you need a fuselage that is 95% built.

EDMO

Posted

I have a fuselage and wings ready for cover just need flaperons.

I have a 582 Rotax grey head also, but I am looking at going electric instead of 2 cycle.

Wayne

Posted

Well its been over a year sinc my last post and am still procrastinating about my project.

I have built the flaperons, the second turned out better than the first. Both are airworthy just not perfect.

I have a Zero DS motorcycle for the electric powertrain but am still considering using the 582 instead.

if I go electric check cg might be a problem. The battery would go just ahead of firewall and it weighs 170 pounds and the motor which weighs 39 pounds just ahead of the battery.

I am looking for advice, comments or any information that might be helpful.

Wayne

Posted

Wayne, 

This sounds like an interesting project. With those kinds of weights you will likely have to move things around a little to get your CG right but it sounds do-able to me. Hope you like math! 

like Ed said in the original post on this thread, post up pictures, we all love them!

Posted (edited)

Wayne,  Your weights are about equal to my Soob EA81 engine, the leverage would be dependent on the dimensions of your battery and motor.  I extended my leading edge on the wings about 4" and covered them with 1mm Finland plywood to get the CG back - Avid & Kitfox both said you could swing your wings forward about 1" to help with CG.  You might consider getting your wheels more forward if you are making a taildragger.  And enlarge the tailfeathers.  Just some quick thoughts that might help.  That fuselage is built of light tubing and will bend easily, so you need to reinforce the sides and the main truss for the landing gear like others have posted.  EDMO

IMG_1495.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thanks guys, I will send pictures soon

Posted

Thanks guys, I will send pictures soon

Wondering about that 54 hp electric - What rpm does it turn?  Guess it has to be variable?  I have my doubts about 54 hp getting a 700 lb bird off of the ground like Bandits 50 hp 503 gets a 450? lb bird off, but very interesting experiment.  Post up.  EDMO

Posted

Can you find a lithium battery?

Posted

The motorcycle I have has a 11.4 kw lithium ion battery. One of the good things of using the powertrain from the Zero motorcycle is that all of the components are matched. Several of these setups are already being used in thundergull aircraft. Mark Beierle has had his at Oshkosh for a few years. That is what gave me the idea of using it in my project 

l know I need to keep it as light as possible but would like to where to reinforce the airframe for safety. I hope to keep weight close to 500 pounds 

Wayne

Posted

Here are some pictures of the airframe where it might need to be reinforced and of the Zero

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Posted

The seat truss is a good thing to reinforce as well.  Many of these have bent in a "not that hard" of a landing.  Lot of guys have infilled under the doors to strengthen for landing gear loads as well.  JImChuk

New MK IV 051 (Large).jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

I see the bike has spokes in the wheels, Is that so you can put a baseball card in there for the true motorcycle noise, ;)

4 people like this

Posted

The speed of the motor is 4300 rpm but will have a belt reduction to bring prop rpm to about 2000 rpm.

1 person likes this

Posted

How big is the battery, Could you place it right where the 9 gallon fuel tank usually goes or maybe  cut some tubes out and re design the front I think Lithium's can be mounted any direction,

Posted

I see the bike has spokes in the wheels, Is that so you can put a baseball card in there for the true motorcycle noise, ;)

I didn't think of that! I will have to give it a try.

It does have a PA system so maybe I can get a recording of a Harley an play that when I ride!

1 person likes this

Posted

The seat truss is a good thing to reinforce as well.  Many of these have bent in a "not that hard" of a landing.  Lot of guys have infilled under the doors to strengthen for landing gear loads as well.  JImChuk

New MK IV 051 (Large).jpg

Thanks, how thick is the extra metal?

Posted

How big is the battery, Could you place it right where the 9 gallon fuel tank usually goes or maybe  cut some tubes out and re design the front I think Lithium's can be mounted any direction,

The battery is 17 inches by 16 inches by 10 inches and weighs 170 lbs. I have thought of mounting it there too.

I think I might put it in the copilot area until I know if the electric idea is feasible.