Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax/Sea Doo

10 posts in this topic

Posted

I was "looking" on e-bay this morning (thanks EdMo) and stumbled onto a, currently decently priced and nearby,  jet ski with a 110hp rotax 2 cyl 2 stroke engine.

I've not seen any mention here of anyone using/adapting them for airplane use. I seem to remember, a year or so ago, a forum that had content regarding a guy developing mount adapters for gear drives. Seems he was aiming at the gyro drivers.

Just thinkin'.   I welcome thoughts, ideas, input as well as criticism.  :fishing:

Lou

Posted

Modern jet ski engines are amazing pieces of engineering,well worth a look.

Getting a gearbox to fit and work would be the biggest challenge.

Single ignition wouldn't be an issue,modern electrics appear to be very reliable?

The early 670 engines are currently being used with some success(I am in the process of having one machined for my kf3

I can't wait to get it running!

Someone(possibly this forum) is looking to fit a rotax 800? Engine,

Power to weight would have to be a winner.

I don't know about overhaul parts prices on some but the 670 is very cheap!

Posted

Akflyer is working on the Artic Cat 800 engine and redrive.

EDMO

Posted

I remember seeing posts about the 800 some time ago. Didn't know if he was still working on it or became drawn away from the porject.

Posted (edited)

I think Leni has a full-time job getting his 180 back in the air for right now - And every other two weeks are spent in the frozen Arctic tundra (ANWAR) where the Democrats don't want us to drill more oil or gas wells because it might

piss-off a caribou,

or the Canadian Eskimo Natives who don't make any money off of our oil....

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

My 582 has 720cc double slotted rods.

Posted

I keep putting the 800 project on the back burner.  Now that I have a few other things taken care of and a new GTAW/ GMAW machine at the house, I will get back on it and see if I can make it sly by the end of summer.  The exhaust is going to be the biggest bitch of the whole project I think to try and get it to fit inside the cowling.  I may just end up using the other MK IV cowling I have and butchering it up and letting it all hang out.  I would like to keep it inside the cowling for a nice clean look, but don't know if its going to be possible.

For those of you who are looking for an affordable welder for working on home projects and planes, you truly can't beat this one!  So far it has done a great job on the CS and Aluminum I have welded, but you cant GTAW Aluminum as it does not have AC output to the tig rig, just DC.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200631881_200631881

:BC:

Posted

I think the 787 Sea doo motor would be sweet and if you look at the pto end it has some meat on the cases and holes drilled and tapped, could make and adapter plate. I feel these motors would be a better fit than the sled motors, there port timing and exhaust are built to run 6500-7000rpm not 8K. If you wanted to get some more ponies the yamaha gxr1200-1300 size triple two strokes are a reliable 135-150hp with lots of them running around with more than 500 hours on the top end.

Posted

Thanks all for your input/thoughts.

I've not responded because I spent most of the last week at Ft. Riley for a welcome home celebration for a Div contigent of the Big Red 1.

Lou

1 person likes this

Posted

Independence Day. What a great time for some Fighting First appreciation!