Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Crossed the US in My Avid Flyer Mk IV

20 posts in this topic

Posted

I bought a nice Avid Flyer Mk IV from Jim Peet of Valley Springs, CA, and worked with Joey to get it ready for the trip from CA to Connecticut. The Facebook album tells the story, here is an open link for all, you don't have to be a Facebook member to view it, they say. Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

You Avid pilots are really on to something, that airplane is a pure joy to fly!

Route of flight. O88, O02, 26U, KMAN, KBYI, U56. KBPI, KRKS, KCPR, KCDR, KBUB, KPMV, KICL, KEOK, KDNV, KMNN, KGQQ, 4G4, KSEG, KMMK
2516 Nautical Miles, 2895 statute miles, and about 40 flight hours.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10204506616008187.1073741829.1316312324&type=1&l=ed9d700cb5

2 people like this

Posted

Congrats Nick on getting your bird home and having an enjoyable flight thanks to Joey and Dean Wilson.

Keep posting - enjoyed the photos.

EDMO

Posted

Now that's a trip, thanks for sharing.

Posted

Yeah, great story. Reading through all the descriptions on the pictures was fun. Thanks!

Posted

Wonderful catalog of your adventure!  Makes me a tad jealous.  Very picturesque flight through the Rockies.

Posted

Good job, Nick!  ...and all on 582 power.  Thanks for the pics and commentary.  You make it look easy.

Posted

Saw your plane on the ramp here in Casper and wondered who's it was. Great adventure in a new plane. I agree, these are fine little planes.

1 person likes this

Posted

Paul S,

Casper is one great town! We spent the weekend with my step-daughter and had a blast. I wish we'd gotten to meet.

Nick

Posted

EPIC! :news:

Thanks for sharing!

Posted

Wow, quite the trip. Would like to do something like that myself someday. Thanks for sharing. Jim Chuk

Posted

Makes me want to cry, but I did work on my new Champ all morning.  When I get it done, maybe I'll take a long trip.

Jim

1 person likes this

Posted

This was an epic journey. Thankyou so much for your story with all of us.

Posted

Awesome!

Posted

Awesome trip, we need more Avid Flyers on the east coast!

Posted

Boy I sure do like the looks of those radiators buried up in side the cowl, How well do they work for you, That sure looks better than the belly radiator to me.

Posted

What a great trip and pictures Nick.  Thanks for sharing it.  These always inspire me to do more and more with my Avid.  Maybe one of these days I will have to make a trip down south and back; if I can just talk Leni into it....

2 people like this

Posted

TJay,

I found the water temp ran warm in climbs especially at 100+ degrees in California. In cruise, it ran 140 to 150 steadily. I think the nose scoops could be opened up a bit, they are aligned with the upper 2/3 of the radiators, and left the lower 1/3 blanked. I bet the temps would be very nice if the scoops were extended a bit, but I operate in Connecticut, so around here the stock config could be quite satisfactory.

Posted

Great trip, thanks for the pictures.  At Danville, you should have borrowed the crew car, driven a couple of mile over the Indiana line to the Beef House restaurant.  But, then you might not have been able to take off again!

Mark

Posted

The only problem i can see is that you forgot to post your route BEFORE you left! (or maybe you did and i missed it?) If i had known you were in my neck of the woods I would have met you guys for lunch :) Our plane stays at KMAN for the winter. glad you guys had a good trip and thanks for sharing it with us. 

Posted

High Country,

Sorry, but the planning was as spotty as the pilot, I knew where I was landing during the flare! ;-)

1 person likes this