Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Seat Belt and Seat Pan Routing (Kitfox III)

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Before I start choping my seat pan to start passing through seat belts, thought I would look to see if anyone has pics available.  Things seems a bit nebulous.

Anyone have a good shot of the slots they cut in thier seat pan?  Also any shots showing the seat belts passing through from the back side (turtledeck view) would be of great help.

Larry Saupe

Kitfox Model III in construction

Posted (edited)

Just IMO, but you are far better off to replace the "car" belts with 4-point aircraft belts.   An accident can jerk you right out of that single shoulder strap.

The guy who wore the 3-point in my Kitfox 1  got 165 stitches in his head when he bent hell out of overhead tubes, not to mention broken ribs and arm. 

While Lostman, Kenneth, and wife got out almost unhurt of their flipped and bent-to-hell Pursang, "Airdale", because I think they had 4-point belts on.

No photos to help you.  But I think I have an old photo of the bent and broken tubes, if that helps.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If you are using the stock seat covers just lay them on there, they should have a slit in it for belts that should tell you where to cut. this is just a guess from me by the way.

Posted

Ed, my III came with 4 point Hooker belts which hold me in nice and snug.

Larry, if anyone else doesn't come up with a pic, I'll post one this week after I get out to my hangar.

Posted

Sed,

I didn't know about any 4-point belts coming with kits, My 1 and 2 only had 3-point car belts.  I  bought a set of 4-pointers.

EdMO

Posted

My old KF3 seat and pan. I consider 4-point belts mandatory.

post-53-0-18592500-1434948384_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-65452200-1434948417_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-79739000-1434948443.jpg

post-53-0-59463500-1434948482_thumb.jpg

post-53-0-55761100-1434948730_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

OK Doug,

What is the story about the rectangle in the seat pan back?  Just a repair, or for a purpose?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Battery isolator access with baggage sack in place.

Posted

Ed

My 2 has original 4 point Hookers.

Lou

Posted

You guys are great thanks.  Great pics.  Only one slot then it looks like (assume the outboard belts go around external to the pan?

By belts are the 4 point Hookers as well.

Posted (edited)

Yes, outside belts go around seat pan - upper outer shoulder 4-point goes to 2 upper outside bolt holes, and both inside shoulder belts double to center inside attach point at rear of T-deck.

There is supposed to be a large fiberglass (or leather / rubber) round pad glued to each of the 2 lower outside bolt heads, to keep them from rubbing hole in fabric.

At least on the 1 and 2 models...

EdMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri