skyraider super

24 posts in this topic

Posted

I got my A/W cert. now have 5hrs on it. It has a 100hp rotax and a aero lux prop. 22" desser tires.

post-897-0-29066600-1435084198_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

Posted

Looks like the plane is smiling,   I bet you smile also when you apply full throttle with those 100 horses ready to roll.  What kind of performance numbers can you share with us at this point?  Jim Chuk

Posted

So far it climb's out 1000fpm at 65ias, at 5000rpm it cruises at 80 ias. stall right at 40. It does jump off the ground only 5400rpm full throttle,at 4000ft elev.

Posted

Forgot those numbers are no flap it does have fowler type flap's, i'm still driving it not wearing it yet.

Posted

post-897-0-47676800-1435093381_thumb.jpgpost-897-0-76842700-1435093450_thumb.jpgMore pic's

Posted

Nice! Would like to see the elevator and rudder in more detail. How many hinge points are on each surface? Does it have the spar stiffeners inside the wing spars out by the attach bracket? Must be nice to have a rocket ship.....

Posted (edited)

How much chord on those flaps - Wondering how my "Foxy Flapper" with 14" chord x 6.5' flaps is going to act?

Like Cessna :huh: ?  Any problems flaring?  Keeping nose up?  Are your flaps fabric?  Mine will be aluminum.

I enlarged the tailfeathers - a lot !

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

nice plane .powerhouse I bet

Posted

Ed  I will have to measure the chord, the flap handle is not latching correctly still need's some fine tuning. I have not got to use the flaps yet, hope get this done this weekend.

I just put one hour on it this morning, when you pull power off it'slike doing an auto in a rotorway!!    thanks dynomike!

Posted (edited)

I hope you have enough tail surface to flare with those flaps and heavy engine - best to try it at altitude first - May have to add some power to flare - other planes have that problem too.

"Too slow and the earth will come up and smite thee!":  Old Pilots Testament, Chapter 2, verse 1. 

Chapter 1 says,  "In the beginning, dinosaurs arms became wings and sprouted feathers,

and they flew above the earth, and crap shall fall down from the heavens forever."

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

EdMO  I just got back from landing at remote control airport 300ft lenth, 4000ft elevation 82deg. it does fine with full flaps. Still getting the feel for it but it fun so far.

Posted

Cropduster,

sounds great - keep having fun and learning about it.

Congrats,

EdMO

Posted

Looks like your own personal rocket ship!

Posted

Thanks guy's it is a rocket going up but not so much when straight and level.

Posted

Sounds like an IFA prop might be the cruise answer?

EdMO

Posted

Yes but I need to keep it ELSA. But I think that would help.

Posted (edited)

I think there have been many suggestions from Alaska on here to keep it covert...and say it is only GA...

If you should decide to get an IVO IFA, then follow their modifications posted on here before you have problems with the screw shaft and motor on it.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I still stick by my opinion that if they can put a sticker on the dash of a 180 hp Carbon Cub and get away with the honor system of the pilot NOT going over XXXX RPM to limit the "hp rating" then I can use the same principle of a sticker on my dash saying to only adjust the prop on the ground via a switch mounted in the cockpit.   I have a hard time believing that even the feds honestly think that a guy in a 200k plus 180 HP CC is really going to not use the full RPM available to him in his new toy.  If that can pass the grin test then I have no problems putting a sticker on my panel as well....

:BC:

3 people like this

Posted

I got my 40hrs flown off the plane flies fine ,but after having 4 different Kitfox's I really think the control harmony in the fox is much better.

Posted

I still stick by my opinion that if they can put a sticker on the dash of a 180 hp Carbon Cub and get away with the honor system of the pilot NOT going over XXXX RPM to limit the "hp rating" then I can use the same principle of a sticker on my dash saying to only adjust the prop on the ground via a switch mounted in the cockpit.   I have a hard time believing that even the feds honestly think that a guy in a 200k plus 180 HP CC is really going to not use the full RPM available to him in his new toy.  If that can pass the grin test then I have no problems putting a sticker on my panel as well....

I do believe that your defense statement would sound good but......you are never in trouble with the FAA until you're in trouble with the FAA you know?  Unfortunately you don't get a trial by a jury of your peers when dealing with the feds.  What you get is a kangaroo court.  The outcome is predetermined.  The results are certain.  I have heard old timers say for instance, that you are a heck of a lot better off flying on an expired medical than lying to get a new one.  If you get caught.  Anybody ever had a ramp check?  I don't know anyone personally.  I'm sure they exist but where they exist I cannot say.  

1 person likes this

Posted

Well I for one have had a ramp check, in Pampa TX of all places got thru it OK, but sure makes you nervous.

Posted

Well I for one have had a ramp check, in Pampa TX of all places got thru it OK, but sure makes you nervous.

Were you flying commercial (dusting) or just fooling around having fun?  Just asking.  

Posted

Just fooling around in a glasair TD,made a high speed pass down runway with my Dad in his long eze on my wing, We got everyone's attention.

Posted (edited)

I do believe that your defense statement would sound good but......you are never in trouble with the FAA until you're in trouble with the FAA you know?  Unfortunately you don't get a trial by a jury of your peers when dealing with the feds.  What you get is a kangaroo court.  The outcome is predetermined.  The results are certain.  I have heard old timers say for instance, that you are a heck of a lot better off flying on an expired medical than lying to get a new one.  If you get caught.  Anybody ever had a ramp check?  I don't know anyone personally.  I'm sure they exist but where they exist I cannot say.  

I think that 90% of the ramp-checkers must be in Missouri - I have lost count over about 60 years of flying how many times my buddy and I have been checked - even at my hanger when not flying!   Never been checked anywhere else.     I think the check of my Ercoupe twice was just curiosity - they didn't seem to know anything about it.   

BTW:  Unless things have changed recently, the FSDO here will absolutely not give field approvals for any mods, and has been that way for many years - without an STC, you are screwed!     That's what got me into Expermentals.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO