Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Bending Control Rods

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Any suggestions on location (distance from the front of the rod) and extent (angle) /method for bending the control rods under the seat pan?

Looks like all three should be bent (to accomodate the seat pan etc.)?

Figure I really only have one shot at this to get it right so thought I would ask.

Larry

Posted (edited)

My elevator tube was bent from the factory, I think, where it went under the seat.  Or, was that flap tube?

Don't think aileron rods need bending - do you have the manual?

I have the 1 and 4 manuals.   My controls and seats are completely different than Kitfox.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Yep, I have a manual for a Model III, however is is quite sparse in this regard, and indicates they may need to be bent.  My elevator was pre-bent, but the other two are not.  Definetly need to be bent to arrive at seat pan clearance.

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

The bends are all rather subtle and this pic of my KF3 might help to show what is necessary. Note: this is a 'post gopher hole run-in' pic (ugh), but the control push/pull tubes were undamaged with the exception of the Heim end at the forward flaperon belcrank. I did have a wood block under the seat pan to protect control push/pull tube continuity in the event of a seat pan collapse or interference.

post-53-0-88493400-1435337043_thumb.jpg

Posted

Doug,

What is the aluminum? plate on the bottom fabric shown under the flap rod?

EDMO

Posted (edited)

They bend pretty easy.  Set the seat in place and look to see where any clearance is needed.  I bent mine by placing the rod below my knee where I wanted the bend and pulling on each side like breaking small fire wood.  It seems they all came with a slight bend about in the center.  I can't remember for sure but I didn't have to put more bend in all of them.

Edited by tcj

Posted

Ed that plate is where the bungees come through the fabric.

Posted

Thanks TJay - After 2 sets of Grove gear on two planes I had forgotten about bungees.

EdMO

Posted

Yep, remnants of the change out from bungee to spring gear. Gotta keep the C02 out..

Posted

Thanks for posting the pics!  Much appreciated.

Getting close now, here are a few pics of the progress. It is actually a darker red/maroon (Sante Fe Red) but shows more pinkish in the pics for some reason.

DSCN3528_zps2rksyvo5.jpg

DSCN3529_zpsjsjvn01o.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Nice Plane - if that turtledeck is hinged in the middle and you have leaks, some 300 mph aluminum tape will help.

EDMO

Posted

If that is your shop, I am a bit jealous very nice

Posted

Yep, it is hinged and I will keep that in mind.  Definetly don't want any ingress in case I get caught in the rain somewhere.

Yes, that this the new shop.  Just finished the exterior last year.  Interior finish has been delayed a bit until the bird is done.  It was supposed to be the other way around, but my wife is half way through flight training now and is itchin to she this bird ready to go.