Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Weight and balance and more taxi testing

3 posts in this topic

Posted

I had a fellow EAA guy with nice digital scales do my W&B today. She came out to 533 empty. I was hoping to be closer to 500. It was originally 484 with a 532 and no electrical system. I was kind of surprised that my measurement from the leading edge to the axle was only a 1/4". With me in it and full fuel my CG is sitting at 12.65. I figured it was going to be towards the forward end. What were guys measurements from you leading edge to the center of your axle?

After the weighing I flushed my tanks using a straight piece of pipe threaded into the fitting and a 4 foot hose attached to it. I drained it back through my Mr Funnel like you guys suggested. I got very little crap out of the tank I was pretty surprised. After that I replaced all the fuel line as the stuff on there was about 3 years old. After all that I stuck 3 gallons in each side and did some more taxi testing. Man I wanted to fly so bad. On my last pass I actually went out onto the runway and go her on the pipe for about 2 seconds. It got a little squirrely. I put in a little aileron because of a small gust and I lifted a tire. I didn't even know it till I heard it chirp. I put her away after that. As soon as I get my conditional done on the 12th it's game on!!

IMG_5014.jpg

Turning onto the active

IMG_5011.jpg

IMG_5007.jpg

Love this picture!!

IMG_5012.jpg

Posted

Nice looking Avid!!  I am in the process of a recovering of my Avid C HH and your Avid is now my inspiration.  Nice and clean looking.

Cheers, Mike

Posted

It's going to get some striping down the side to match the cowl lines at some point but that's pretty low on my priority list right now. Thanks for the compliments. I learned alot about covering and painting during this process