Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Differace between Avid B and an Avid mark IV

14 posts in this topic

Posted

I already have a Mark IV and just wanted to know the differane's.

Posted (edited)

Sorry I covered up your post with the barn comments - Didn't mean to - Now some Avid knowledge can come your way....

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Is here much difference in there flying between the two?

Posted

no they both fly the same unless its a STOL or HH wing compared to a speed wing.  I flew an extended speed wing MKIV and it performed every bit as well as my HH wing on the same engine and prop combo. 

:BC:

Posted

The B model fuse I don't think is quite as wide and there is a bar at the bottom of the door frame like the early model kit foxes that make them harder to get into and out of.

Posted (edited)

I think the rudder on the Mk4 is larger, as well as the elevators with a trim tab?  C5 put the larger ele and tab on and says his flies a lot better.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Yep that is correct Ed, I have both the MK IV rudder and elevator with electric trim. well worth it.

Posted

I've had a B model and two MK IVs. Width of cockpit is the same on both models, as are the door openings. The A model has a smaller door, and was narrower. (36") The Mk IV has some additional bracing at the wing attach carrythroughs. I think the bottom lift strut carrythrough is bigger on the MK IV also. Seat truss is beefed up a bit on the MK IV. B model had smaller rudder (straight in the back, not rounded like the MK IV) and elevator is smaller on the B with no built in trim tab like the MK IV has. The B model was lighter and flew that way. It didn't have the F7A bellcranks that reduce the adverse yaw like the MK IVs have. Didn't have a baggage compartment in the B model either. B model had cable brakes, at least the earlier ones anyway. B model had a main header tank that held 9 gallons, no small header tank behind the seat like the MK IV. Some aluminum fuel tanks in wings in B models, 5 gallons verses the 14 gallon fiberglass wing tanks in the MK IV. I'm sure I'm missing some other changes but these came to mind just now. Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

So - What is an Avid Flyer?  I thought that was the original Avid...

Is that what they call all models (ABC) before Mark IV?  OR, are they all Avid  Flyers?

What does Joey C5 have?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

They are all Avid Flyers. A,B,C, MK IV. EDIT !!! and the Bandit. All Avid Flyers. I believe Joey has a C model if I remember right. Jim Chuk ;-)

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Ed,

Kinda like the cessna 180A, J, K F, etc.. All cessna 180's but they had many mods and upgrades over time.. some I think were down grades..

I stand corrected on the fuse width and door opening, thanks for setting me straight Jim!

Posted (edited)

Thanks Leni - Guess you figured the 182 was a "downgrade" because you now rode the tricycle forward...."lol"

Shouldn't matter much if you put waterwings on them!  The straight tail was better, IMO.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Don't forget the Bandit. Bandit serial # ends with a E.

Edited by Bandit
1 person likes this