Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Easy Fueling

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I'm not a spring chicken any more so lifting 5 or 6 gallon gas cans up while standing on a shaky ladder and trying to pour gas into the wing tank instead of all over the wing is starting to be a hassel.  So I have fixed that by taking an automotive 12v fuel pump and setting it up as a fuel transfer rig.

I went to the local O'Reilly's auto parts store and got a Mr.Gasket 12S fuel pump rated at 4 - 7psi at 32gph, a clear fuel filter, some 5/16" fuel hose, a lighted toggle switch, a cigarette lighter plug, hook up wire and various electrical fittings.  I also got a 1/4" gas service ball valve from the local hardware store. 

With this variety of stuff I cobbled together a fuel transfer system.  I attached the pump to a piece of ply-wood as a base and made an aluminum bracket to mount the switch on.  I then installed the clear 5/16" filter to the inlet of the pump and 2ft of 5/16" fuel hose to the filter as the inlet suction hose.  The rest of the 5/16" hose atteched to the outlet of the pump with a ball valve near the end for flow control.

With the wiring done and the cigarette lighter plug on the power lead I can plug into the airplane or truck and pump fuel from the carry cans to the wing tank without having to crawl up a ladder.  It is easy to monitor and not over fill the wing tank thereby not pouring fuel all over the wing again.

The whole arrangement fits into a marine/RV battery box for easy clean storage.

I attached a few pics because I knew somebody would ask....I'm so proud of me!

MarkD

post-1147-0-55022600-1435798157_thumb.jppost-1147-0-94191200-1435798175_thumb.jppost-1147-0-41859100-1435798195_thumb.jppost-1147-0-54201600-1435798213_thumb.jp

1 person likes this

Posted

Kick Ass! Awesome setup and nice work!

Posted (edited)

Another tip - Many years ago when 87 Avgas was replaced with 100 LL, which had 4 times the lead in it,

we started mixing 4 gal Mogas with 1 gal 100LL Avgas and 2 oz Marvel Mystery Oil for our Contisaurus engines.

We got a 16? gallon Pony Keg from Budweiser beer company, and welded in on one side in the middle a fill spout of 2" pipe with a cap tapped or drilled for a tire valvestem.  The outlet was a  filter and rubber hose attached to a ball valve on the end.  We made a plywood cradle to hold the keg in a horizontal position for hauling and strapped the keg to it.  Put about 10 or 15 gal of mix in it and pressurized it to about 30 psi.  We carried a small 12 volt compressor that plugged into the lighter socket in our trucks.

Some said you should not pressurize gas with air, but we have been doing it for years with no bad results.  

Beats holding 5 or 6 gallon cans on a ladder any day.   Guess it would work with a 12 volt pump too.

Both of our tanks are at my flying buddy's house, so if anyone wants a photo I will get one the next time I go over there.  Now I am wondering if the kegs were stainless - got to call him tomorrow

- tough to get old!

EDMO

Note:  Some airports banned us from hauling our own gas in with or without a DOT fuel permit....

NEXT DAY;  Pony Kegs are Stainless - And, one Fire Marshall said to limit pressure to 10 lbs to prevent aireating gas -  Tried putting fuel pump on hose and the air pressure worked faster than the pump....We usually have a portable air tank with 120 psi for inflating tires, and it has a regulator to limit pressure when we attach it to Pony Keg with gas.  He might sell his, since he no longer has STCs for Mogas?

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Transfer your gas to a smaller 2 gallon jerry can for going up the ladder. Put all the gas through a screened funnel into the wing tank. Have a decent step ladder. Sounds like a lot of B.S. but does go quick and easy compared to wrestling the big cans. I do like the pump set up though!

Edited by IFMT

Posted

I use one of the big Mr. Funnels. Gives you a 6" hole to hit and it sits nicely in the tank so you don't have to hold it.

Posted (edited)

I have two problems because of age and injuries:

1.  Lifting more than 1 gallon of gas - I solved this with the Budweiser Pony Keg and hose in my truck.

2.  Climbing ladder - Thinking about making a wood stairs to a 4' high platform with rails on the stairs....

Other solution is to dig a hole and park in it, but if it rains I will need a drainage ditch or pipe - 

Or, dump two big loads of dirt to make hill inclines and plant grass on them, park between them.  

If I had Jim Chuk's dozer for an hour, I would have something done!  Maybe just a Bobcat?

:huh:

Keeping on thinking.....

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri