Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Fair price for timed-out 582 & Ivoprop IFA?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Hey- I'm looking at buying a local fellow's timed-out blue head 582, complete with bings, exhaust, c gearbox and Ivo IFA.  Any guess at what a fair price would be?  Not much out there on the internets right now. 

Thanks!

Jim

Posted

I would give it a rough guestimate of around 3500- 4k with gear box and IFA prop.  Cost you around 22-2500 to have it rebuilt if you don't do the work yourself.

:BC:

Posted

Not to thread jack (this may be related), but what is the going cost for a 582 new. I was just thinking about different options, so I did a little looking recently, and came across this:

https://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rtxpages/582rotaxengine.php

Seems pretty reasonable. I guess there is some more cost to get the rest of the FWF stuff though. What would it cost by the time you had a running engine?

Posted

Prices new...

Engine and exhaust 5000.00

C Gear box               1621.07

IFA Prop                   1400.00

Shipping ???

Total around             8000 plus shipping

Rotax Rick says a 582 overhaul is 1850, but if you need new cylinders etc the price goes up.

Barnstormers has a 582 BH rebuilt with a B box and no exhaust for 2800 right now. 

Typically used is about 1/2 price of new but times out it may be a little cheaper than that so I still say 3500 to 4000 would be a pretty fair price if you know the guy and the engine is still running just "timed out".  If you can wheel and deal you may get him into the 3000 range but he would have to be a really nice guy or not know what he has.  If the pistons are scuffed etc, then you have some bargaining power due to increased cost of rebuild etc.

Posted

If it is "timed out" at 300 hours you should be able to run it to 600 pretty easily if you take it apart, clean, inspect and carefully reassemble.

1 person likes this

Posted

Ahhh... Didn't think about the fact that you have to buy a gearbox separately.

Posted

Rotax Rick says a 582 overhaul is 1850, but if you need new cylinders etc the price goes up.

...and the more I see and hear of "Rotax Rick" quality and workmanship, I wouldn't give 50 cents for it.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

First thing to do is he huff puff test ,I have seen failures on 300 hr engines and passes on 900hr.

Hrs mean nothing! Most 582 problems are generally cheap and easy to fix, but a dodgy bottom end is sometimes worth more than the engine.

Last week I bought a low hr 503 for my drifter ($1300nz) subject to a bearing test,unfortunately it was max clearance.

I paid $300 as parts! There is a lesson here!

Edited by Dusty
1 person likes this