Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Break lines and fittings

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Geting ready to plumb up by break lines.  Question is though, is there any thing special about these lines?  From sone of the planes I have seen it looked to be a white plastic with brass compression fittings.  Possibly hardware store variety tubing or is there a specific material I should be souring here?

Larry S.

Posted

Larry

The build manual for my model 2 lists 3/16 O.D. Nylaflow nylon tubing.

Lou

Posted

Hardware store tubing WILL NOT WORK, You can get the tubing and fittings from AC Spruce.  Hardware store tubing is good for around 100 PSI and you need around 600 PSI to get your brakes to work well.  The Nylaflow tubing that AC Spruce (among others) sells is good for 2000+ PSI and its cheap.  Grab a few extra fittings when you order, they are cheap and you will probably twist one off.  You don't have to tighten the compression fitting very tight for it to hold.

I am assuming that your running matco masters and brakes?

:BC:

Posted

George Happ at Matco recommended 1/8" line from the Masters down to the caliper. They are much easier to route than 1/4".

Posted

I believe there are two wall thicknesses for the Nylon tubing - Doug Holly was talking about one being more flexible and easier to route and connect - Think one is 1000 psi and the other is 2000, but I haven't checked it out.  I would use the 2000 if possible.

Get the Nylon from Spruce or Wicks - not Poly or Tygon or whatever.

EDMO

Posted

Thanks guys. Yep, they are the Matco.

Posted

MATCO suggested to me that the.035" wall will work and is much easier to get over the internal sleeve on the fittings.  I tried the .050" and had problems with leaks and much more difficult to route.

Jackak

1 person likes this