Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Project

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I was going to go for a flight tonight.  During the preflight I pulled the prop through as normal and heard a metallic rattle.  I though to myself, "Damn.  Broken exhaust spring."

So I pulled off the cowling.  All of the springs were fine.  There was still a rattle in the exhaust, though.  On closer examination I found this:

post-36-0-50339000-1436326820_thumb.jpg

The end of the muffler is obviously cracked.  Scratch one Tuesday night fly night, fly-in.

Off comes the muffler to get welded.  After pulling off the muffler I quickly realized that there was more wrong than just a crack on the end of the muffler.  There were loose parts rattling around inside it!!

I took it over to Dave's place to cut it open and see what's to be seen.  Here's what I found:

post-36-0-05594600-1436327450_thumb.jpg

The blast tube inside the muffler loosened on one end and then broke.  This left the stinger unsupported and lead to the crack on the end cap.

A call to Kitfox taught me that a replacement muffler is available ($500) but I'd have to send the header pipes along with the old muffler to construct a new one.  They won't sell me just the blast tube.  Therefore I am left to find or make my own replacement.

Here's what I found.  Link.

Maybe someone makes a 1-3/4" diameter blast tube , but I can too.  For a lot less money.  The material will be here on Friday.

WIth a little luck I will have it back together for the trip over to OSH on 7-18.  If not, I guess the plane will have to stay home. 

Posted (edited)

Larry,

12" Chrome plated motorcycle glasspacks are cheap on ebay!  Oh, is that a Rotax?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Will the muffler off the mangy fox fit this 912?

:BC:

Posted

Mangy muffler has been modified for the mangy. :(

Posted

Why does this crap always happen when your trying to get someplace?

1 person likes this

Posted

Better than getting there and not getting back home.

Posted

Yes, TJay.  In it's condition it may have failed and departed the airplane in flight causing who knows what kind of damage.

Posted

Why does this crap always happen when your trying to get someplace?

No kidding. Lightly wiggle that exhaust during pre-flight. Just too many things can burn or get damaged + carbon-monoxide poisoning is no fun.

We had a cracked turbo melt his surroundings including part of the wing spar on a twin. No fun, either. :wacko: