Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Getting a New Airport

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Well after 6 years of talking about a new airport and trying to get funding, It has finally begun, trucks and equipment are moving in, Im Excited about this because it is less than 2 miles from my house, thought I would go out and snap some pictures of the beginning. In this picture I am actually on final, it will start just after the hard surface road,

post-999-0-88868300-1436406406_thumb.jpg

here is the start of the equipment.

post-999-0-06217000-1436406527_thumb.jpg

Here is my airport now, this is one of the three in the area that they are shutting down, trying to combine

all into one for less maintenance, Makes sense.

post-999-0-93669300-1436406622_thumb.jpg

even saw a balloon out enjoying the sky.

post-999-0-13649700-1436406765_thumb.jpg

Another good night of flying.

post-999-0-47410500-1436406834_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

TJay,

nice bird - You are sooo lucky!   All the small airports around me are either in the new STL TCA, or have been replaced by subdivisions or industrial complexes - closest small country airport is now 25 miles away, and closest hanger is 50 miles one way.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I hope they are planning to have more total hangar space than the current space.

Just north of me they recently built 10 spaces to relieve the waiting list and are extending the runway to 7000 ft.

New wait list already has one name...

Posted

Finally got a chance to fly again and snap some more pics of our new airport. was dying to see what that have done, for the last three weeks I have been fighting off Lyme Disease, so everyday after work I was so week I couldn't even think of flying, well here you go enjoy.

post-999-0-47099100-1439512812_thumb.jpg

me feeling tiny here.

post-999-0-27895100-1439512783_thumb.jpg

Posted

Looks like they have moved a lot of earth. Whole modified area airport?

Posted (edited)

TJay,

Hope you are getting good treatments for the lyme disease - My ex wife's cousin went blind from it.

Also, hoping you don't catch a TCA with that new airport - That is a real PIA...

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

yeah we caught it early enough so the antibiotics are doing the trick. vision is back and face muscles are working again, getting better here. Damn Ticks, anyway what is a TCA? and yes lots of dirt work I forget how many million cubic yards are to be moved but its alot. I hope to continue to take pictures over the next couple years of there progress.

Posted (edited)

Kind of puts my runway extention to shame doesn't it!  ;-)  The grass I planted a week ago is starting to show up fairly good.  Sure could use some rain though.  Jim Chuk

Got a picture of the grass starting to come up. Doesn't show up as good in the pic as in real life though. Hope we get some rain soon so it don't die.....

post-329-0-65127600-1439575254_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Jim,

The positive side of yours is that "You own it" - and there will probably never be a TCA there...

Terminal Control Area:   A huge control area that looks like an upside-down wedding cake, where little birds are not welcomed among the Big Bird$ !

EdMO 

Posted

Funny thing Ed is I just filed the quit claim deed papers yesterday with the county land office. It had to be signed and notarized (twice) by the older lady and all her kids that live all over the country. Hope it's right now! Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

Sounds like it was part of an estate - Wish I was ready to come up and try it out with Foxy Flapper.

I could wear one of my new Pink shirts!  :lol:

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

It was actually called a "life estate" Don't know if other states do this as well, but after her husband died about 10 years ago, it was set up like this so it would pass to the kids when the mother passed away. She ownes 3 joining properties totaling about 50 acres. I got 3 acres of the 40 acre section she owns. And by the way, you aren't allowed to land unless you are wearing on of you pink shirts! ;-) Jim Chuk

Posted

Jim,

The positive side of yours is that "You own it" - and there will probably never be a TCA there...

Terminal Control Area:   A huge control area that looks like an upside-down wedding cake, where little birds are not welcomed among the Big Bird$ !

EdMO 

Ed, or what is called Class B these days  :)

Us old f*rts need to stick together - I remember TCA's, and even TRSA's  :(

Mark

Posted (edited)

I only fly  in class "G" (Good airspace) !  Glad I don't have to take a test for my license again.

EdMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Funny, but TRSA's are still around. They've got one at Rockford IL near where I fly.

Posted

I only fly  in class "G" (Good airspace) !  Glad I don't have to take a test for my license again.

EdMo

Unless you are in Alaska or Montana, there isn't a lot of that left above 1,200 ft AGL.

Mark

Posted

Cant fly at 1200 much now - Tooo dang many tall towers...

Edmo

Posted

Cant fly at 1200 much now - Tooo dang many tall towers...

Edmo

Too true, so maybe we should call it Class G for 'Gone'.....  :(

1 person likes this