Avid Wide Gear w/4" of travel and 27" Desser bushwheels

34 posts in this topic

Posted

Your gonna love those tires .up to about thirty take offs And landing on pavement and that little molding strip on the center of the tire is still hanging in there .

post-574-0-79281700-1438201760_thumb.jpg

Posted

Wow! Those look awesome! Felt like every landing scrubbed rubber on my ABW's! 

What is the strategy for running low pressure for real cushy landings and not spinning the rim in the tire when you brake? Or is it just not a problem?

Posted

Quite a bit of rim surface to grab. I put mine at 6 psi and they barely budge the sidewall when rocking the plane hard back and forth with the strut. The only other guy I know running them on his S-7 said they seem to be working well at 5 psi. Even if they do move on the rim they are tubeless.

I pulled my master cylinders today to install the intensifier kit. I missed the second sheet of instructions. Due to variations in the MC-4 line up they leave a few thousands of extra material on the sleeve. You have to cut it off to line up within .010 of the bottom of the end gland relief chamber. Can't really measure it. I'm taking them to my local machinist and letting him deal with it. 

Posted

Figured it was time for a quick update. Last Thursday the guy who designed my shock struts flew down to my hangar and spent two hours with me setting them up. I had no idea how much went into it. I test it flew it that day but stayed in the pattern and only did two landings on the grass. Sunday I went over to a crop duster strip and did around 10 landings. I don't have very good data yet as I had to totally relearn how to land it. I can tell you this though it's a 10,000% improvement over the nancos and stock bungee gear. Sooooooo smooth you don't feel anything while taxiing. With the added AOA I have noticed a big difference in takeoff and landing distances and I'm not even trying yet. One thing I have noticed is that on touchdown in a 3 point the tail wants to pop up because it takes a second for the tires to spin up and start rolling. It's not scary but noticeable. Hopefully more to report and an onboard video soon.

Posted

Any updates/photos on this?!

Posted (edited)

Sam I have about 60 hrs on this set up so far and still loving it. I did notice a hit in cruise and climb performance. At home and Sea Level it’s no biggy but going to 10k loaded is another story. Something to take into consideration. Here’s some pics. 

https://youtu.be/OrISTHctYJA

CDC546BB-41F4-4A39-B682-CF7FC87D395D.jpeg

0A4CA7DA-5BE7-4E06-AA67-7147A0FCD369.jpeg

74ED52F4-5733-4422-BC16-A52DA3C54278.jpeg

1C768C0D-A13A-42D2-BEAF-84551DF3DDCE.jpeg

F5B2EB57-17D1-40F3-94B7-5201D36C12F6.jpeg

385A0409-CF3E-422C-AD64-CBF6D7399B5B.jpeg

Edited by C5Engineer

Posted (edited)

Thanks!  Is the kit for sale 'complete' or is it a case of finding the components separately?

How are the landings, can you drop her in 'harder' and more slowly now?

Edited by Sam Rutherford

Posted

This is a one off set up. Avid Gear legs, TK1 Racing shock set up, local fab guy mods, Kitfox wheels and hubs, and Matco brakes with MC-4D master cylinders, intensifiers, and custom made pedals. 

You can plop it in from a few feet up and not bounce or feel it. The taller stance makes for shorter takeoffs and more aggressive braking. 

1 person likes this

Posted

So, can he source all the bits and send them to me?  :-)  Cost of bits plus his time?

As you can see, I mostly fly, rather than wield a spanner!