Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Compass correction card required equipment?

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Can anyone tell me if a compass correction card is required equipment? I know you have to have a compass which I do but I don't have the little card that says for xxx heading steer xxx. I really don't feel like screwing with this if I don't have to.

Posted

Compass is not part of the required equipt in Experimental AC for day VFR flight.  Went through this with my A&P..

http://www.rainierultralightengines.com/forms/Minimum_Inst_Requirements.pdf

Good quick reference.

If he does not like it, then just put an in-op sticker over it for the inspections, then peel it off when he signs it off.

:beerchug:

Posted

Cool thanks Leni... Funny I was just looking at that link.. guess we googled the same thing. I didn't think it was needed. This guy was pretty big picture about the whole experimental thing but his certified side came out a couple of times. My best defense was having an answer for everything. He liked that I obviously knew my plane. He said he deals with a lot of hot shots that buy RV's already built and have more money than brains and don't shit about their airplanes. He got pretty wrapped up doing a compression check on my engine too. I know you can't really get much for info doing that on a two stroke. What does your guys A&P want to see on a 582? He seemed pretty happy once I fired her up and she ran like a champ. I did have one stupid moment during the engine run though. I guess last time I had the plugs out I didn't put the wires back on right. I had both plug wires going to each cylinder so when I did my mag check I dropped a whole cylinder not just one plug in each.  :banghead: That was a quick fix at least. Other than that.. a piece of safety wire, one cotter pin, and a couple of zip ties and he was happy.

Posted

SWEEEEEEEEEET, so when is the first flight for ya?

Posted

Get the AW on Wed then just gotta wait for a day the wind is not blowing 25 out here.

Posted

"Compass is not part of the required equipt in Experimental AC for day VFR flight."

True....., but (as always) the "Operating Limitations" for the aircraft has the final say. It sounds like it CAN be mandatory... (see (2).)

Subject: CERTIFICATION AND Date: 9/26/2003 AC No.: 20-27F

OPERATION OF AMATEUR-BUILT AIRCRAFT

b. Operating Limitations.

(1) The operating limitations require that you operate the aircraft under the applicable air traffic

control and general operating rules of part 91. If you plan to operate under instrument flight rules (IFR),

pay particular attention to the applicable requirements in part 91.

(2) The operating limitations will authorize all operations to be conducted (visual flight rules,

day/night, and IFR). These operating limitations may state that the instruments and equipment

mandated by § 91.205(B), ©, and/or (d), Powered civil aircraft with standard category

U.S. airworthiness certificates: Instrument and equipment requirements, must be installed and operable.

In addition, these operating limitations may state flight test areas as defined in § 91.305.

That being said, the operating limitations for N84KF do not include such a provision.

BUT...it does say that "this aircraft shall be operated in accordance with applicable air traffic and general operating rules of FAR 91..."  , and, under said headings, "pun intended" there are rules  about headings and altitudes  such as § 91.159  VFR cruising altitude or flight level.  So it would seem that some instruments, such as  altitude and magnetic heading indicators would bemight be necessary.

Here's a good link.... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=41769 

I like how the "DAR A&P/EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor Specializing in Amateur-Built and Light-Sport Aircraft RV-6 Flying since 1993  "pro" has to eat his own words on the subject.

Posted

Steve, you get a chubby any time some schmoo at EAA "tech" has to eat crow :lol:  I do agree with ya on that one.  I have called up before after doing my own research and the tech counselor gave me an answer that was WAY out in left field.  I dont even remember the guys name now.  After he gave me his speil, I hit him with FAR#s quotes, and facts and he just got pissy and told me it was obvious I knew better than him so why even bother calling.... Pisses me off when someone cant even put up a good argument.

Posted

Good information guys. I'm trying to remember if we have a compass rose at our field or not. If we do I will do my best to come up with a card. I was thinking if nothing else I'll find one online already filled out, print it off, and stick next to the compass  :french11:

Posted

I did a little search on this one, and as far as the FAR is concerned, you have to have a compass corrdection card.. dont say shit about having it filled out, just says you need one...  When I had the FAA guy come down for my inspection to re-issue my AW, he did say something about the card.  I told him it dod not matter cause when I stuck the radio on the dash, the compass will only show one heading no matter where you point it.  We both laughed and he said it was not required, but if the damn thing was not gonna work where it was mounted, then why was I carring the extra weight.  I told him I dont like empty holes in the pannel.  He did not have any issues with it.

I have never been able to get my compass to read anything past Due E and 060.  Dont matter if I am heading due north, due south ect, it will read somewhere between E and 060.

If I pull the radio out, I get a little more swing, but it is still not right.  One of these days I will stick the vertical card compass back in the windshield, but I hate that bugger cause it blocks the view.  Maybe when I put my new fiberglass pannel in, I can find a spot for the Vert card co. that will allow it to read correct, as it is a tool I have wished for i nthe past when I went into the soup without a GPS on board.  As it was, I had to dead recon off the wave direction about 25' off the water and hoped to hell I saw the island before I flew into the cliff.  Worked out OK for me, but I was pucker'd up good for about 15 minutes.  oh, I was on wheels too so flying that close to the water really really got my attention.  That was in a PA 12, but that full story should go into another thread..

Maybe I should start a new thread called close calls, what you can learn from other mistakes may just save you life :lol:

Posted

Maybe I should start a new thread called close calls, what you can learn from other mistakes may just save you life lol

I was just over on the Vans RV forum searching around and saw they have a section in their forum titled Close calls. The airlines have an anonymous system where pilots can report close calls that otherwise would go unnoticed so they can address them in training. The idea is to have no recourse so people will actually fess up when they screw up so others can learn from it. The Airforce has recently adopted a similiar system because of a ton of stupid little incidents this year. We have had several gear up landings and taxi incidents so far in 09.