582 rotary valve hose installs

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Replacing the hoses on my 582 Mod 90 engine.  Using new OEM hose.  However the ID is significantly smaller that the tubes it connects to.

What a BEAR!  Got two partially on, but... there has got to be a way to do this (maybe preheat the ends in hot oil or something)?

Anyone have tricks of the trade on this?

Larry S. 

Posted (edited)

I don't think oil is good on rubber - Doctor said, "Astroglide", (a water base) to help me get a big tube inside a small hole!  :lol:

Oh, but you are talking about engine hoses - Maybe someone has a better trick!  WD40?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
2 people like this

Posted

I should have added these are the RV hoses, which feed/hold injection oil.  They are a rubber with a fabric exterior.  

Posted

I used reinforced dishwasher connection hoses. Somewhat clear and much easier to deal with and 1/3 the price.

Posted

Put the hose end in hot water with a touch of dish soap (a drop or two, no more).

This will soften and lube them allowing them to be slid on. Using this method, I've used 5/8 and 3/4 heater hose on my and other 912 engines with great success.

Posted

You can slide a needle nose pliers in the end then pull it open to stretch the end a bit. then slide the hose on and it will shrink back down to its original size.

1 person likes this

Posted

Actually my installs started to leak so I contacted LEAF.  The original cloth covered hose (gray head) has been discontinued and is replaced with a new hose (not cloth braided)) which is almost 2x I.D.  Went on great this time.