New to group.

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi All! My name is Dennis Lacy. I'm from Kalispell, MT. I have become an Avid lover. Unfortunately I am between Avids. Looking for a nice C model. I bought, restored/upgraded, painted and sold a C model that I brought up to MKIV standards. Sold her to a gentleman on here, DynoMike. Perhaps some of you know of his plane? Mike has made her what she is today for certain with custom wide gear and bush tires etc...

I restore aircraft and offer build assist. I have restored several Super Cubs, however, the Avid was a most fun project. I am looking forward to doing another.

I have a serious question for the group. Has anyone heard of UL POWER AERO ENGINES before? I am on the way home from OSH after and exciting time. I am a new dealer/bulid assist/service center for UL POWER. I am working on a FWF KIT for a gentleman that will have a UL POWER eng

Posted

Sorry accidentally hit post.

So I am wondering if I offer a FWF kit would there be interest out there?

Posted

The Zenith guys have been running UL engines for years. Welcome to the Forum!! Dynomike is a regular poster here and recently cost me $900 after he put the 27" Desser tires on his plane. :)

Posted

Nice to have another choice on engines.  Good luck and welcome.  Please keeps updated as you develope thr fwd kit.

Jackak

Posted (edited)

I spoke to Troy from Just at Airventure.  They have a UL350 in the Super STOL XL.  He says it takes off and climbs great but it wasn't without problems saying he still prefers the 912.  He wouldn't elaborate further...

It is an intriguing engine option.  I hope the "problems", what ever they are, can be worked out.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

I spoke with all the kit manufactures at AirVenture including Just. I know they have a UL520i 180 hp in their red plane. No problems mentioned to me. I will be following up with them. There are always trade offs when we do a FWF change. Especially on the prototype. The benefits of this line of engines far outweigh the very few problems that most if not all the kit guys have been able to overcome. Of course I want to deal with any and all concerns from those that would ever arise. Thank you all for the warm welcome!

Posted (edited)

What is the cost / weight / rpms of these engines in the 80 to 120 hp range?  4 cycle or 2-smoke?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

http://www.ulpower.com/sites/default/files/manuals/flyer_ul260EN_web.pdf

Here is a flyer for the lowest HP engine on the 8 engine lineup. A traditional Aircraft engine with all the latest advanced technologies for safety and reliability added. 97-200 hp.The four engines from 97,107, 118 and 130 hp are for the avid, they are four-cylinder. 165 to 173 pounds with all accessories oil etc.

Posted

They are air cooled, direct drive. :-)