Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

6.3 Quake in Alaska

11 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Leni,

Any reports from the 6.3 Redoubt quake for Kenai?  do you think Mt. Redoubt is getting ready for a blow again?  We heard that stuff fell off of store shelves in Anchorage, but no major damage there.  But Redoubt is just across Cook Inlet from Kenai.

EdMO

For everyone else - Redoubt volcano dumped about 18 inches of ash on the Kenai area about 1958-59.

That is where Leni lives.

There was a 7.9 about a year ago, and the big quake in 1964 was a 9.2 that killed a lot of people!

Alaska has thousands of small, mostly unnoticed, quakes every year, but some get your attention.

I have a report now that the latest quake was about 73 Km / 45 miles south of Mt. Redoubt.

Mt. Spur welcomed me to Alaska in 92 - It blew up 2x the first month I was there and dumped ash on Anchorage - everybody was wearing dust masks, changing air filters, and looking at scratched windsheilds.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Another benefit of living in Alaska! :-)

Mark

Posted

I was in the air when it hit.. no damage noted and we are used to them.  You can keep your tornadoes and snakes, I will stick with the bears and the earthquakes :lol:

:BC:

Posted

Snakes, no problem, don't even need a big gun to solve that problem, heck, a good pellet gun cures the immediate problem.  Understand there is no such thing as a good snake.  I dead snake is better than a live snake, but it still isn't good!  :lol:

Tornadoes? Heard about them, seen the aftermath of one or two, even had the house hit by one in St. Louis when I was in Kindergarten.  Over and done, if you didn't get major damage, it isn't a big problem.

Bears - are there guns big enough?  Especially when you're shaking as bad as I'd be?  Earthquakes - was in Oakland shortly after the last big one in SF.  Got to stare at the collapsed bay bridge outside the office window for a week.  Traffic was snarled for over a year from that, big mess even if you didn't get any damage to your house.  I'll take tornadoes, thanks.  At least the hospital, fire department, and other services are generally still working, and the roads are fine!

Mark

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Leni,  I will trade this 114 heat index for below zero anytime!

We were sleeping on the ground in the snow and driving all night in the mountains of Germany - I asked my buddy from Louisiana if he wished he was back in the heat - He said, "No, we can put on more clothes to stay warm here, but you can take off all your clothes and still be HOT there!"

Don't care much for volcano dust tho - Waiting for the big one at Yellowstone!  :lol:

EdMO

BTW:  They just killed a 14 foot python here after it ate someone's dog!  On the local news today.

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

111 here today.

Posted

I think my wings melted!  Too hot to go check!

EdMO

Posted

The heat finally broke here today.  81º with dropping humidity, finally.

Posted

Our high was 75 with 15 - 20 MPH wind. Actually felt almost cold. Northern Mn. Jim Chuk

Posted

Time for getting your skis off Jim?

EdMO

Posted

Actually, I was cutting some firewood yesterday, winter will be here before you know it.... ;-)  Jim Chuk