Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Question about polyfiber 420 epoxy

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I have called them and sent e-mails to get an answer if the 420 epoxy has to be top coated to make it UV proof in the cabin area. They have not even offered a reply much less a chance to make me buy more stuff. I know most automotive epoxies will break down in sunlight pretty fast without something to seal it.  Does anyone have any tubing that is just epoxied and holding up well in the cabin area? I want to leave out anything that isn't really needed...plus I like the white finish. Thanks in advance

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted

Called polyfiber this morning at 8 am est and got their machine. Got a phone call back at noon, product is on it's way. I have never had a problem with getting questions answered. Try again.  

Posted

EP-420 is a primer and as such does not have finish materials that would provide UV protection. The final finish of the epoxy primer is engineered to allow a top coat of various finish materials to adhere to it.

I used Poly Tone 105 white as the final color when I covered my plane and used the same to paint most of the metal pieces including any exposed tubing previously coated with epoxy primer.

It has held up quite well and if it needs any touch up the Poly Tone is easy to apply and may be used to accomplish almost invisible repairs. Some guys I have worked with have also used the Aerothane finish but repairs can be a bit more involved and do not always blend well.

Of course that can depend on the skill of the individual, for myself I still rank as an amateur after several completed projects but I'm happy with the results of my own paint and finish work.

MarkD