Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FAA paperwork

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

How long does your airworthiness paperwork take to get through the Feds once you are finished building?

I have heard 3 months and if they find a mistake you go back to the bottom of the pile!

Thanks,

Ron

Edited by Ron

Posted (edited)

Ron,

Are you talking about registration or airworthiness?  The airwothiness certificate can be signed by the inspector on the spot, or if there is a problem, it is filed and you have to get reinspected, or prove to him you have corrected problem.

The registration is a series of papers, including application for N-number, you fill out and submit before you can get an airworthiness inspection.  Make sure you have the latest version of the Operating Limitations.

You need to get the registration process going before you are ready for an inspection.

Kitbuilt forms are a lot simpler than scratch-built forms.

You can list a choice of 5 N-numbers from the available numbers on the FAA site, or let the FAA pick a number for you - this has to be on the plane before inspection, as well as all the tags, decals, W/B, and all approved paperwork.  Don't forget engine, prop and airframe logbooks.

EAA produces a helpful package on this for members, with the paperwork, required tags and decals, but Op-Lims may not be the most current - you need to verify that.  You can print the latest version on the FAA site.

I'm sure that others know more about the time than I do - I have only bought registered planes until building this one.

EdMO

You should be able to get a 25 hour Phase 1 period, because of your "aircraft" engine.

Try to find a DAR who knows about Experimental Planes, even better if he knows about Avids.

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Huge difference between the FEDS and a DAR. Find a DAR...Pay his fee and you will be legal in 2 hrs. Mine was $500 cash money.He drove 2 hrs...had my slip in hand in an hour.

1 person likes this

Posted

I have gone through the process with two homebuilt airplane projects and have had the FAA inspect both with no problems. Unfortunately the DARs do not really know what they are doing in most cases. The inspection process for homebuilt aircraft is really very simple, first it is not an Airworthiness Inspection, the builder does that and makes the appropriate log book entry. The inspection required by the FAR is an inspection to certify that the builder actually built 51% of the aircraft and that all the appropriate forms are filled out correctly. Sure the FAA guys will look over the aircraft and if any discrepancy is noted that could affect the airworthiness will inform the builder but their real purpose is to certify that the builder built the aircraft. That's why picture are so very important as part of your individual documentation.

Most times a DAR will show up expecting to perform an Annual Condition Inspection and charge an exceptional fee because the airplane is not type certified.

The EAA has guidelines on how to complete the process and the FAA actually has instructions that if followed to the letter are quite easy to complete.

Of course a lot depends upon where you are and how close to the nearest FAA regional office. Here in Western Washington we are fortunate to have a FSDO and MIDO right near Seattle.

Both times I went through the process the FAA guys were professional, helpful, informative, polite, and were pleasant gentlemen to work with. We did most of the process by e-mail, phone conversations and FAX prior to the actual site visit and they helped make sure everything was 100% correct and complete before they showed up.

The one time I helped a friend go through the process with a DAR was a nightmare and the DAR complained that the absolutely beautifully done RV-6A was not a real airplane because it was not type certified. The guy was an absolute jerk so I am tainted by a bad experience with a DAR. (and he was very expensive)

MarkD

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

MarkD,

Thanks for the good info and corrections.

Ron,

Yes, YOU have to do the condition inspection per 43 apd D and sign it in the logbook before your FAA or DAR appointment.   I have heard that they like to see at least an hour on the Hobbs for engine runs :huh:

Don't forget to apply for the Repairman Certificate if you are not A&P.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Ed,

Please do not think that I was attempting to correct anything anyone else had posted. I hope I'm not one of those "Know-It-All" trolls that are so frequently found on Forums. I was simply relating my own experience in the hope that maybe I could help someone avoid the hassles I have personally had.

I have found that for me, I can be my own best advisor by doing what seems like endless research. But if I can pass along some of what I have learned maybe I can actually help others.

The FAA guys that came and inspected the RANs S-6S I just finished for my Father-In-Law had asked that I run the engine within an hour before they showed for their appointment and have the cowl removed from the engine so they could see everything. They even checked to see if it was still warm when they showed up.

My experiences with the Seattle FAA Offices have been good whenever I have had to work with them. It did take several weeks to go through the whole process so I guess if a guy is in a big hurry a DAR might be the way to go but the price was right with the FAA....$0.00! I offered to buy the guys lunch at the airport diner but they said they could not accept a gratuity.

MarkD

Edited by MarkD
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

MarkD,

We all benefit when someone who has "been there and done that" posts his knowledge gained from experience.

Thanks for sharing, and I don't think anyone should be offended by your posts.

All I know is from the research I did for a practice run before I wrecked my unregistered newly built plane, and had to start rebuilding it.  I never claim to be an expert at anything - just put my 2c worth and hope someone comes back with better answers.

Keep writing,

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri