Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Washers- Lift Strut to Wing Spar Attach Bracket

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Quick question:

My Model III build manual (Fig W-28) instructs to add AN960-816L washers to either side of the ball joint.  I was anticipating something that mate with the  An4-13 A bolt (1/4" vice 1/2").

Is the washer listed correct?  If so, this must slip over the ball bolt boss then?

Larry S.

Posted (edited)

The ball should clamp tightly between the ears of the strut attachment - I would think that if you need washers to take up the space, they should be 1/4" bolt size.  Mine also had 1/4" washers tackwelded to the outside of the strut attachment ears.

EdMO

Akflyer made new struts for his Avid, and used rod ends - In order to take up space between the rod ends and the old style attachments, I believe he said he used washers - I am betting they are all 1/4".

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

In my KF3 Manual's step-by-step instructions, it says to use AN960-10L washers. But, as you note, my Fig W-28 also shows AN960-816L washers. Hmm, if the latter are too large, the former are too small. Right? -10L is .193" min. / .213" max so neither make sense. For a 1/4" bolt you would use AN960-416L washers, assuming there were no bosses on the inside of the lift strut bracket I would think? I dunno. Geez, gotta love those early build manuals.

Edited by dholly

Posted (edited)

Sometimes it may be better to just file the manual, and go with Gute Ald Kommon Senz!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Avid uses two little pieces of chromoly tube for shims on the left wing aft strut.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Guess the scrap tubes are cheaper than AN washers?  I get my washers at ACE Hardware, Lowes, Harbor Freight...

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Mine has washers too

Posted

When you use washers would it be best to keep one side of the rod ends tight against  the attach brackets and put all the washers on the other side, that way the bolt has less tendency to bow up or down, Or center the rod ends and washer up each side. I am asking because I will be dealing with this same issue during final assembly. If I had the attach brackets off the spar I would weld spacers on the inside and forget the washers, But since the attach brackets are riveted to the spars no welding.

Posted (edited)

TJay,  If you are using the original struts, I would put the washers in to fit the strut with no side strain on the rod end - If you are making new struts, I would center the struts in the fittings.  Remember, the Avid Magnum 1700GW uses the same 1/4" bolt there.  If new struts are warped a little from welding, you may have to rearrange the washers.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO