Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avidfoxflyers.com On Facebook

57 posts in this topic

Posted

Avidfoxflyers.com has a Facebook Page Now!

Check it out, Like It, Share It.

Maybe this will help recruit some new and active members, who will then in turn post here.

Avid_zpsip7ugbup.jpg

Cheerio,

Jason

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Jason!  Helping to get the word out may get us quite a bit more members here and more activity.  We have a lot of great members here and a TON of great info to share.  If we can get more knowledge base here its a win win for everyone!

:BC: :bc:

Posted

I'm a Conscientious Facebook objector. Don't use it, never will.

Sorry no help from me.

4 people like this

Posted

Larry,

There will be two of us on this site while everyone else is on the gossip column. 

I will talk to you,

EdMO

1 person likes this

Posted

It's not a shift to move everything to fb.. it's to get more exposure and point people to this site. This site is not going anywhere

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Leni,

We didn't say it was bad - Hope it works out without hackers.

Just that we will be right here waiting and talking - nowhere else! 

Fed up with FB and TKF a long time ago!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

It's bad.  Facebook sucks.   :hammerhead:   Zuckerberg is a cock sucking communist piece of shit.  I hope he dies of gonorrhea.

I'll spread the good news of the gospel of AvidFoxFlyers the old fashion way.  Knocking on doors.  "Have you heard the good news?"

3 people like this

Posted

I'm with you Larry!

Posted

Would you guys say there is a lot of dizzying activity on this forum?

Guess that's a "no". So, how many of the new members post? Guess that's a "just a few".

How many dedicated and actively promoting members do we have here?

I hate Facebook and Sugarassmountain as much as anyone. But, at least the site gets out there. Short of a 500 dollar ad in a magazine, its the only way to advertise a site that DEPENDS on active members. Ask someone who's forum was ignored, hacked, silenced, legally threatened and stonewalled for nearly 6 years. I am here all week to answer questions. Its really just an attempt to get more members in here.

The competition is doing enough to protect this website from growth and success.

:nobashing:

Cheerio from the DPNG

jjb

1 person likes this

Posted

Jason, it's a great idea to advert the forum on fb. More power to you.

I just enjoy bashing them as often as I can.

2 people like this

Posted

I recruited and directed over 10 people yesterday alone from the new page to our site. The point was not to take away from the content of this site it was to promote it and hopefully get some more people posting and sharing thoughts and ideas. People don't talk tech data or build threads on FB guys. They post pics and videos mostly. Hell just making this thread about it has kept the dreaded No new content page away the past 3 days :)

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

I never will visit, use or promote FB after they turn a blind eye to the harm they do to children. And what Larry said.

Joey - I see a total of (1) new member here since the FB page went up, no way of knowing if they are related. It's true, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them sign up! Therefore, I personally would rather not split content and hope all the pics and videos just get posted here because, yes, they do tend to stimulate conversation (and I will never see them on FB). I thought that was the goal here not there. Why direct someone to a FB page that directs them here, just refer them here in the first place! Plus, you remember what happened to the Avid Flyer Yahoo Group list when AFF became the go-to place to post pics and videos... crickets!

That concern aside, and with all due respect for jjb's intentions, I'm skeptical of the long term value. It's no secret that FB only promotes paid posts now, any free FB marketing (brand, service or content) is throttled and has the value glide path of a brick IMHO. Unless you maintain an active FB community with content for back links (which kinda defeats the purpose of directing potential new members here), the bots will not notice and SEO is unaffected. Maybe instead of an active FB page it could be the equivalent of an 'announce only' voice mail message?

Just my $.02 to no one in particular, keep the change.

Edited by dholly
3 people like this

Posted

Jason, it's a great idea to advert the forum on fb. More power to you.

I just enjoy bashing them as often as I can.

I still hope that Sugarmountain and his criminals will someday all go to jail or get sold to Iran for Camels.

If Facebook went POOF tomorrow, I'd drink until the cows start mooing. Unfortunately - if you're not on it with a page you seek to promote, you stand the chance of a icecube in hell. So, before I complain about Facebook I always look around myself first. Its the people who prefer these short, meaningless, senseless statements who make Facebook so much more popular than forums.

;)

1 person likes this

Posted

I think everyone has good points and each has its merits.  If it does not help bring in new members and promote AFF as we hope it will, then it is one click of the mouse to make it disappear.  I am not going to sweat the pics of vids on the FB page as those are already posted here, on BCP or on the big tire FB page.  It gives exposure, that is it!  I can promise that we will not stop posting here on the forum and just start posting on FB. 

The page just went up yesterday, I am not sure the new member was a result of that, but what I do know is that Joey and I are tied into a pretty large group of flyers on FB and as they see some of the cool things these planes will do they will take notice and start checking out this place more and more.  For every person on there that has liked the page, we show up on that persons news feed for all his friends who care to read it will see it too.  The aviation community is pretty well a tight knit group and any chance to open a door may as well be explored.

At the end of the day, its an experiment for experimentals, will see if it works out or not.

:BC: :BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Maybe we should set a trial date and see if/ how many new members sign up.

If, lets say after a month, there's 9,754 "Fans" and no new members here, we'll post a picture of a flying pig and kiss them goodbye.

I am already noticing lots of notifications but actual sharing of the site is limited. There's some 20 Likers.

I enjoyed reading the article dholly hotlinked. I also appreciate the "value glide path of a brick" analogy used to describe its effectiveness.

This isn't a new issue. Its just the not so fluffy part of a huge and well executed totalitarian world domination game that is about to be won.

Over here where the Teutons lived, we have a smart phone commercial that shows a baby.

The announcer says: "Meet Sarah. Sarah will not need a computer or laptop, she won't even need a smart phone.

She will touch the internet with her hands and live in it."

Yeah, she'll be some wacked up emo with a social anxiety complex and suicidal tendencies when someone actually speaks a word with her......

Her vocabulary will consist of Tool Time Tim's grunting noises and ROFL, LOL, FML and whatever else is in use.

Sometimes one must wonder when exactly Facebook will be renamed to what it really is. A dumb version of "Surrogates".

"Oh look, I'm so cool but so excstaticly sad. FML! My Facebook was down for a minute and my BFF unfriended me!"

likebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpglikebutton_zpssit5b1dp.jpg

Posted (edited)

JJ,

It would be nice to get some members who are willing to write something or answer a builder's question.

Of the 1156 members now, there are only about 20 who will write.  Some members haven't been to the site for years.

Every time I check to see who is on the site, I see a couple of members who write, and maybe a dozen "gawkers" listed only as "google, bing, yahoo, and facebook" - They don't benefit the site one bit, IMO.

I know I write a lot, but I can slow down if it gets crowded here.  I just think every question deserves an answer from someone.  I appreciate all of those who have answered mine and others' questions.

EdMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, a handful of members posting is like the glue that keeps a site ticking when you could otherwise not get the crickets to chirp.

I agree wholeheartedly that the short oneliners are often detrimental, much worse is no response at all. Ask Lenny what walls of text I've produced.  

On my Aerobaticsforum.com I recently questioned my members as to why they think there is so little activity.

I've had the site back open since June 1 and there have barely been 10 Posts. Answer: If nobody starts a topic, nobody can answer it.

To my question why not to start a new topic the answer is: I'd rather respond than initiate. That's the equivalent of institutionalized insanity.

One member started sharing the site on FB. Result: Facebook Likes went from 53 to 215+ in a week. Twitter Followers went from 0 - nearly 50. There is nothing beeing tweeted at all and I can't even share anything on FB since there is complete silence. Still people like the crap out of stuff. 2 new members, none of whom is active. A ton of senseless talk on the Email lists, tons of short memory stuff on FB - and the rest goes to the dogs.

I am a split character on FB. It has gained me some members and it has been useful with advocacy issues.

Beyond that its added work and responsibility.

;)

Posted

This has quickly become consensus for many small biz owners struggling to maintain compliance with a flood of new regulation these past several years... including those for the application of social media for business use. Waay too much effort for the return, so guess what goes in the crapper first...

Beyond that its added work and responsibility.

;)

Posted

WTF is Twitter???

Posted

No worries. We're totally good.

We post because we have no life. You cannot kill that which has no life!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Use of FB caused a serious rift between my son and his two sisters. It was all because no one could sense the tone and intent of the posts. Kind of like a 2nd grade playground spat! Two of the 3 refuse to communicate. They even carried it to their Mother's funeral. How assinine!

Social media is alright when used for its intended purpose. It has just all gotten way out of hand for sake of money!!

(stepping down) :soapbox:

Edited by KFfan

Posted

I have been a member for several months now and have found this fourum very useful in building my KF IV. I don't do FB. I tried the other site and felt like a bastard child. I don't post much as I was raised being told if I don't have anything intelligent to say, keep my mouth shut. I am getting there though

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

If social media posts causes a rift, there is probably some other underlying cause.  I don't ever get offended by facebook or other posts (Even Ed's don't bother me  :lol:   ).  You can't detect tone, or use other visual clues to see what the person really meant, and in general I don't give anybody the power to make me mad - that's just letting them control me and that ain't going to happen.

Mark

Edited by mark
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I hope my posts don't bother anyone, except maybe the friendly feud I have going with that certain "antique-taildragger with waterwings flyer" in Alaska!   :lol:  At least he gets a Christmas card from me each year, and hasn't kicked me off of the site - yet!  I think he is jealous that I can park my bird level without waterwings!

But my answers to builders are meant to be helpful, with the best info I have.

I have made a lot of posts just to stir the pot and get some interesting comments posted...Wake UP Y'all!

EdMO 

Edited by Ed In Missouri
3 people like this

Posted

Don't get out of line Ed, or I'll post another cartoon about tricycle geared planes/pilots. I have another one saved for the right time. ;-) On the serious side, I hope I never offend any one either. If anyone thinks I'm trying to be offensive, then I didn't do a good enough job showing the smiley face or grin that shows I'm kidding. Jim Chuk

2 people like this