Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Barefoot Flying

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Am I the only one?

When I was learning to fly my kitfox I was having a lot of trouble getting used to the rudder. I kept nicking the toe brakes and over correcting. I tried with only my socks on and found that I was MUCH better. The tendency to accidentally hit the brakes went away. I also was much better on the pedals with more finesse because I could hook my toes on the bottom of the pedal. It was so noticeable that my CFI commented that he might use that technique with another student that is having similar problems in a Citabria. 

The best part, when it's super hot, I'm very comfortable. When it's cold, wool socks seem to work great and are nice and soft.

The only bad thing I've noticed is that I tend to have to hold a bit of right rudder which over time makes my foot tingle from the constant pressure. With a shoe there is enough padding.

Between the two negatives, I'll go bare foot with a slight tingle rather than nicking brakes with a clunky shoe. 

1 person likes this

Posted

I've always wanted to try finding a pair of wrestling shoes for this reason.

Posted

In anticipation of getting my ticket, I purchased a pair of "driving mocs" when they were on sale from Cabelas. I think I paid around $37 USD. They also offer protection for the heel of the shoe. If you are not familiar with them they are a thin soled loafer style shoe. They are comfortable to wear and offer a great sense of touch at the ball and toes of the foot. The sole is somewhat thicker than a wrestling shoe but offer more protection outside the airplane.

Lou

Posted

I have size 11 wide feet. I had to modify a pair of sneakers with a grinder so they wouldnt catch on each other. I almost ground looped a buddies mark 4 when my shoes locked together from the pedals being so close together. 

Posted

I bet race car driver shoes would work well. Or how about those running shoes that have the individual toes showing?

Posted

The instructor I got my kitfox dual from wore Bowling shoes when flying.  I just can't bring myself to fly even as a passenger without wearing some substantial shoes or boots.  I always think, what if I make an unexpected landing and have to walk a long ways in rugged country?.  It took me a couple years to learn where my feet need to be in my kitfox to clear all the tubing etc.

1 person likes this

Posted

You need a extension on your rudder peddles. That will keep your toes off of the brakes.

Posted (edited)

You need a extension on your rudder peddles. That will keep your toes off of the brakes.

I had the same problem. This mod took care of it.

post-56-0-34203700-1439436033_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bandit
1 person likes this

Posted

Spent a lot of time flying in FL (Everglades) and in Maine (Woods). Only once flew with a female CFI who flew barefoot.

I think having a barefoot person on board will prove beneficial in a survival situation.

They say you don't have to run faster than the alligator or the bear, just a tiny bit faster than the person with no shoes.

1 person likes this

Posted

What a GREAT idea, cool solution to the problem and modification to the rudder pedals.   Just a thought ... what about using 1'8" a thermoplastic instead of metal?  (high density polyethylene, polypropylene, subortholen, copoly etc)  Heck, even a few scrap pieces of 1/8" polycarbonate (lexan) or Acrylonitrile Butedyne Styrene (ABS) should work.  Most plastics have a memory and would "flex" and want to return to its original shape and not permanently bend as metal does.   Cold or heat shouldn't be an issue with the most plastics ... Unless you hit either extreme ... and if it is that cold or hot you probably shouldn't be sitting in the plane.  lol  

... my 2 cents

Brian

Posted (edited)

Doug Holly used nearly the same idea - he posted a photo or two.  The Airdale kit came with aluminum pedals, or at least the one I saw being built had them - Maybe he added them?

I am using Cessna 150 pedals.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri