Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Intercom Recoomendations

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking for recommendations on an intercom system.  Two people.  Prefer battery powered. 

Inetgrating with GA headsets and an Icom hand held radio.

Posted

I use the high noise version of the sigtronics spo-22 .work great in two of my planes and my buddys challenger even with the doors off.210.00 at spruce

1 person likes this

Posted

I worked for an Avionics shop in the Seattle area for several years performing troubleshooting, repair and installations of all brands of avionics.  We had the most success using PS ENGINEERING equipment for audio panels and simple intercom set ups. 

Many COM radios now come with intercoms built in and they have gotten much better since I was an installer.  I installed a Microair 760 COM radio mated to a PS ENGINEERING PM 1000ii intercom wired for 2-place function in my AVID C.  That was in 1999 and I have had no problems with any function of the installation. 

I recently installed an MGL COM radio with integral intercom in a CH-701 and it seems to work well. (at least I have not had to do any trouble shooting and re-work,  yet)  I have also recently installed a GARMIN panel mount radio with intercom in a RANs S-6 but that is a TSO'd radio and a bit more spendy.  The GARMIN equipment is top drawer stuff if you want to spend for it.

PS ENGINEERING makes a portable 2-place battery powered intercom that may work with a handheld radio.  Prices vary with retailers based upon stock on hand but most retailers are reasonable competitive.

My recommendation is to spend the least amount you can to get the most reliable set up available.  I would suggest you look at the 2-1/4" panel mount COM radios with an intercom built in. (Becker, Dittel, Flightline, MGL, Microair, Trig, XCom)  Very simple and low current draw.  Building a harness is fairly simple for 2-place operation.  No wires laying around in the crowded cockpit to mess with on a panel install.  Just headset wires.  Use the handheld as a backup not as primary coms.

MarkD

Posted

I have a couple of intercoms laying around. One is a battery powered (I think Sigtronics) and the other is a very tiny panel mount model. Can't remember the name but have the manual. I am not using either if you might be interested. Would probably be the least expensive option since I have them laying around not being used. I can take pictures and post them if u like. If the folks here think one of them would be suitable for your application we can get u set up cheap.

Posted (edited)

Great feedback and suggestions! Thanks.  Chris, sent you a PM.

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

I would look at Chris' intercoms.  I've bought 3 different used intercoms fairly cheap off ebay, and they were all good.  I would get a used one again myself.  Jim Chuk

Posted

I have a pilot PA-200 portable connected to an icom IC-A20 in my drifter,

It works well.

Posted

Larry,

Sent you a PM with some photos.

Chris

Posted (edited)

All:

Chris has a Sigtronics SPO-42 unit.  Any thoughts on if this would be compatible or any other feedback?  I have an ICOM PTT switch, which plugs directly into the hand held radio harness (Icom A-14).  Would that still work fine (connected directly to the radio harness) or would I need to adapt through the intercom or split to inyercom and radio harness?

The ICOM PTT and Sigtronics PTT connectors are of different diameter (hopefully there is a converter somewhere).

Larry

Edited by LSaupe

Posted (edited)

I have one of these portables, in the most basic 2 place design. Had it 10 years or so and it's been rock solid. Due to it's always open mic and noise filtering/reduction design, it's about the easiest intercom I've used/seen to make normal conversation in relatively noisy environment. No missed 1st syllables due to the normal squelch system of others. Mines a bit older model and has no aux, cell phone inputs or other frills.

I currently have it loaned out, but if someone near by wanted to take me up in his Avid or Kitfox (benefits me) and check it out for 2nd opinion (benefits others), I can have it available in a heart beat. Just meet me at 38WI or 68C.

Through the use of a unique circuit, quiet communications can be enjoyed without the missed syllables, audio popping and background noise associated with voice activated intercoms.

Unlike automatic vox intercoms with manual or automatic squelch controls, the ENRI technology keeps the microphones active or open all the time, monitoring the background noise level and canceling ambient noise, even while talking. 

With a full line of Portable ENRI intercoms, ranging from the basic ITC-401-ENRI portable two place intercom to the full featured ITC-2001 and ITC-2004 ENRI portable intercom's,  there is a model to fill the communication needs of almost every pilot.

For an explanation of how ENRI works, go the FAQ page.

New, ITC-401SJ 

401sj2.jpg

Ultralight Pilots using the Single Plug Headphones, can now enjoy the true quite communications that pilots with GA headsets have been proven for the past ten years.  Through the use of our exclusive audio processing technology, wind and engine noise is greatly reduced or eliminated, while still maintaining clear communication.

ITC-401SJ Features Include

• Exclusive Background Noise Reduction Technology
  • Continues Audio, No Missed Syllables or Words
  • Up to 110db of Noise Reduction
  • Single Volume Control
  • Built-In Cell Phone/Aux Audio Interface
  • 9 Volt Battery Operation
  • External DC Power Jack and Power Cord
  • PTT for keying Comm Radio
  • Small Size 4" x 2.5" x 1.5'
  • Works with headsets with Electret Microphones
  • Three Year Warranty 

401.jpg
ITC-401 Two Place Series

The ITC-401-ENRI Features

• Enhanced Noise Reduction Technology
  • Continues Audio, No missed Syllables or Words
  • Single Volume Control
  • No Squelch Circuits
  • Built-In Cell Phone Interface
  • Pilot/All Switch
  • Push-to-Talk Button for Keying the Comm Radio
  • Small Size,  4"L x 2.5"W x 1.5" D
  • Available with cable and standard plugs or
  • Cable and plugs for the ICOM A22, A3, A4, A24/A6 and the New A-14 series.
  • Three Year Warranty

Models
  • ITC-401, 
    Standard headphone plugs, 1/4" headphone plug, .206" Mic plug.
ITC-401-I,
Cable and plugs for the ICOM A22, A3, A4, A24/A6 and the New A-14 series.
ITC-401-23,
With cable and plug for direct connection to the ICOM A23 and A5

Optional External DC power cord available to allow the intercom powered from the aircraft power.

401TC2.jpg

ITC-401TC Series

The ITC-401TC is designed with the Sport Pilot in mind and is a slight departure from our standard intercom design. The Noise Reduction control is a one time "Set and Forget" adjustment, but in aircraft such as Ultralight's, Trike's and Power Parachutes, because of changing flight conditions the Noise Reduction Control is located on the front panel rather then an internal adjustment.

Trike pilots from across the country who are using the ITC-401TC along with GA headsets, are reporting far better communications between the pilot and passenger when compared to open microphone, push-to-talk, and voice operated intercoms. 

For in flight communications, the ITC-401TC is the ideal choice.

The ITC-401-ENRI Features

• Enhanced Noise Reduction Technology
  • Continues Audio, No missed Syllables or Words
  • Single Volume Control
  • Adjustable Noise Reduction Control
  • Push-to-Talk Jack for keying Comm Radio
  • Small Size,  4"L x 2.5"W x 1.5" D
  • Available with cable and standard plugs or
  • ICOM A-22, A3, A4, A24,A6 and the New A-14 Cable & Plug 
  • Three Year Warranty

Models
  • ITC-401TC, 
    Standard headphone plugs,1/4" headphone plug, .206" Mic plug.
ITC-401TC-23,
  Cable, plugs for ICOM A23 and A5
ITC-401TC-I,
Cable and plugs for the ICOM A22, A3, A4, A24/A6 and the New A-14 series.

Optional External DC power cord available to allow the intercom powered from the aircraft power.

Edited by C150L
1 person likes this