Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Let's see, non-flying,,, Windows 10?

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone using Windows 10?

I took the bait the first day available for me and have had no issues. Everything still there and still working.

A number of times, Miscro$#! Edge (new web browser), when using the back arrow leaves me a blank page rather than repopulating the last Google search I came from. Have to refresh and most times it came back.

Most things work/look the same only found in different looking menus.

Haven't tried anything new in it otherwise.

Posted (edited)

Just did my and wifey's laptops, left the desktops until I was certain there wasn't going to be a repeat of my last Uncle Softie update debacle. Only problems so far have been related to drivers, just had to go into Device Manager and click through all of them for updates. Unfortunately, one on my lappy (NVIDIA GeForce 840M dedicated graphics card) did not have a Win10 compatible released yet, even though Device Manager kept saying I had the latest driver. That played havoc with videos as you might imagine. After a day or two I was about ready to roll back to Win8.1 but hit the manufacture's website only to find they released the new driver about an hour earlier. DL'd that and all is good. I did have to delete Time Warner Roadrunner email accounts and re-add as new because TWC went from POP to IMAP in and out servers with Win10, just changing settings on existing email accts would not work. Email connection was very spotty and regularly failed to recognize the mail servers using the old Pop server settings which, of course, posed it's own set of problems trying to download the new drivers, etc...  Other than that, I can't complain. I do find it better than 8.1 for general intuitiveness (setting commands seem easier to find again) and heads and shoulders over that mega disaster called POS8. Now, the first time I get hit with an automatic update that I can't opt out of and it buggers something up I'm gonna be pizzed....

Edited by dholly

Posted

Wife has W8 laptop - hates it.   I keep getting a popup for W10 on my W7, and I don't ever want to trade in my 7 - end of story.

Have heard maybe 10 is not as secure yet ???

EdMO

Posted

Ed- ditch the Win8 and install 8.1 immediately. Particularly if she has a non-touchscreen laptop. Trust me, she will thank you for it.

Posted

XP for me on the microshit desk box.

My new laptop has 8. What total shit that is. What drug addict designs this crap?

Posted (edited)

Doug,  Did that - it helps.  If I crash mine again, you may be getting hand-written notes from me in the snailmail..

Thanks,  EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I'm DONE with MS. Next OS WILL be a linux variant.

Posted

I hear Windows 10 is pretty solid except for the incomplete Edge browser, but I have no compelling reason to upgrade from 7.  I'll wait to decide until the free upgrade program is about to expire next year.

i found the "Get Windows 10" tray icon/ popup really obnoxious though, so i got rid of it.  It's easy to do.  See the following link and scroll to the bottom on how to remove.

http://www.howtogeek.com/218856/how-do-you-disable-the-get-windows-10-icon-shown-in-the-notification-tray/

Those still running XP still are asking for a complete zombie machine takeover unless you've done the registry hack to make it thing it's a point of sale terminal.  That's the only way you'll get any security updates.

Posted

Ed- ditch the Win8 and install 8.1 immediately. Particularly if she has a non-touchscreen laptop. Trust me, she will thank you for it.

I have windows 8 what is 8.1,I keep getting pop ups to get free windows 10.Is this a scam or should I keep windows 8.Larrys right windows 8 is crazy stupid.Randy

Posted

The "free" windows 10 upgrade is just free for the first year. After that you have to pay something like $100 to use it. At least that's how I remember it when I looked into it a bit. Jim Chuk

Posted

I have windows 8 what is 8.1,I keep getting pop ups to get free windows 10.Is this a scam or should I keep windows 8.Larrys right windows 8 is crazy stupid.Randy

Anybody who has 8 should at least upgrade to 8.1 if they can.  8 was a remarkable piece of crap, but 8.1 fixed the worst of it.  The old desktop is the default again, and once you get used to where they moved all the good stuff it isn't bad at all.

Mark

Posted

It would behoove anyone thinking about a move to 10 to read the EULA, all parts of it. The decision is yours.

NO, thank you Micro$oft!

Posted

I'm DONE with MS. Next OS WILL be a linux variant.

Personally I like Ubuntu, but YMMV.

Mark

Posted

Okay.  I'll byte.  How do you get that crap to update to 8.1?  MIne still defaults to the (non) touch screen homepage.

Mind you, I'm posting this through my Mac.  Because Mac works, unlike MS.

Posted

By the time Microcrap is finished with you guys, you'll watch a 3 minute video before being shown your emails. If you don't want the video, enter your credit card number. Downright amazing idiocy on display with MS stuff. I am running 8.1 and the number of JRT's and Malware issues is mind-boggling. My laptops last no more than 3 years before they smoke off after having worked the whole time (I shut down once a week) and I think my next computer will have some Open Source OS again.

Recently did some troubleshooting (testing what doesn't work means using IE in any version) and noticed that my seaplaneforum.com opens a popup video you have to watch before you can close the window. People might think that popups are used or distributed through the website, instead its the damn browser!!!

There you go making sure people don't get bugged to death with constant flashing ads and Microshit simply does it for you.....

Reminds me of the balloonist who got lost and descended over a city to ask for directions.

He stopped in front of a highrise and yelled to a person standing at the window: "Can you tell me where I am?"

The guy responded: "Yes, you're in a balloon!"

The balloonist nodded and told his passengers: "Okay, we're in Seattle! I know how to get home from here."

The passengers were puzzled. One finally asked: "Sir, excuse me, but how could you tell you're in Seattle?"

Pilot: "That's easy. Shiny highrise building. Ask any question and if the answer is theoretically correct but completely useless its Microsoft's headquarters!"

:flush: