Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Spar Inserts

35 posts in this topic

Posted

OK I beams showed up today, excellent packaging and top quality i beams, Not that I ever thought Just aircraft would have junk parts. It looks like there is plenty of material on top and bottom for a bit of filing and sanding if I need to. They are the full 60 inches long which I like, some say just extra weight but hey if I rebuild my wing struts to match my spars I could have the only Kitfox model 1 1200 Ha, But I will probably just stick with a 1050 lbs gross because that is way more than I will ever be,

post-999-0-25242200-1441058913_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

TJay,

Don't overlook putting a large rounded-bottom V in each end of the insert webs - That helps eliminate the sudden stress point at the end of the insert by making it weaker there.

The inserts look impressive, how thick are the webs?

Now your weak point will be the struts, and the Kitfox 1 struts were only for 850 GW, no matter how strong your spars are, and Kitfox 2 was 950 GW, but its your decision of how heavy you want to fly it.

I think you should consider putting something besides Kitfox 1 on your data plate, maybe Kitfox 1/3, or something?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Hey TJay, thanks for taking a picture of your I beams. From your picture they look just like the ones KF supplies. Here is a page I saw that shows the KF parts:

http://tropicaltuba.com/Kitfox%20Project/Kitfox.htm

I'll have to give "Just" a call for some more parts. Thanks again!

Posted (edited)

Give me their phone number and I will order a set to go with my Kitfox 1 fuselage.

EdMO

Never mind, I think I found them in South Carolina.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I have a question, my skyraider super does not have insert's in the spar's the wall thickness is .084. do I need insert's? gross is 1200lbs.

Posted (edited)

I have a question, my skyraider super does not have insert's in the spar's the wall thickness is .084. do I need insert's? gross is 1200lbs.

If it was mine, I would order a set of inserts from Just Aircraft - I think I paid about $175 for a set of 4 including shipping.

All other tube spar aircraft have them.

EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Thank you EDMO I asked the owner of skyraider LLC, he said it was strong enough, but I am thinking it might need them. thanks again.

Posted

A 1200# Skyraider?  Is this one of the very illusive Frontier kits?

Posted

A 1200# Skyraider?  Is this one of the very illusive Frontier kits?

Larry, Can you give some more details on those "illusive Frontier kits"?

EDmO

Posted

Frontier11.jpg

This is the Frontier, it was supposed to be competition to Kitfox and Just.

I don't know if any kits were ever sold.  Hence the illusive part.  This plane was disassembled and destroyed from my understanding.  Don't know if lawsuits were threatened by Nissan, note the "Frontier" logo on the cowl is right off a Nissan truck.

1 person likes this