Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Paint booth build

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I thought this might be fun for some of you to watch. For the last 20 years I have wanted a real paint booth, So I decided to start on mine. I have always thought about fixing up this little 13' by 20' garage i have next to my house. It isn't much but it is a great size for a paint booth. Ill take pictures as I go for you guys, I am shooting for good lighting, warm dust free environment , decent exhaust fan with filters, a door that my pickup will fit through, and on a budget $1000 Lets see if we can do it, should be fun.

post-999-0-02709600-1440271588_thumb.jpgpost-999-0-44275700-1440271597_thumb.jpg

Posted

Never let the fun stop... :excl:

Posted (edited)

My explosion-proof exhaust fan and automatic shutters cost $400 about 20 years ago at Grainger - other than that, some boards or pvc pipes, plastic sheets, and some intake filters are about all that is needed - the rest is for the compressor and paint gun, respirator, tyvek paint coveralls if you don't have them already.

Oh yes, exhaust filters if you have close neighbors!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Haven't decided on a fan yet. probably a squirrel cage with aluminum blades and a motor sealed in a box. Not sure yet all I know is I'm not spending $700 bucks on a fan. I would rather blow up. Other than aluminum blades I don't see the difference in most fans they all have totally sealed motors now days. Went to Menards last night got Insulation and Drywall for the ceiling and some electrical, spent the first bit of money from the budget. Maybe I should re write my wording from above. I will try to stay under a $1000 bucks by mostly using Materials that I already have laying around. 

Posted (edited)

You wont blow up if you use Stewarts System - the thinner is water - we used a $10 box fan from Walmart when we painted the J3 with it - Just need a good mask or fresh-air breather.   I would use a different UV coat tho - seems like Stewarts UV coat wont hold up to mogas spills, according to one of our members.

I had to buy the explosion-proof fan to comply with regs because I had a commercial machine shop - still have it.

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Looking forward to the paint booth build project!

There is another characteristic of the Stewarts System paint that folks might want to consider; it is NOT tolerant of fuel spilling on it.  Especially if it gets on the back side of the fabric it almost immediately bubbles the paint right off.  Jack and I discovered it with his plane.  On the other hand, I have the Polyfiber aerothane on mine and have ended up drenching the wings on multiple occasions and it seems to have no affect on the paint.

1 person likes this

Posted

OK guys my paint booth is finally finished, took me a few Saturdays worth of work but I got it and did stay under a $1000 bucks only because I already had most of the materials. Here is a few pictures for you. 

paint booth 003.JPG

paint booth 011.JPG

paint booth 016.JPG

paint booth 019.JPG

paint booth 021.JPG

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Looks good TJay,

I don't quite understand your intake filtering or outflow system.  From what I have seen on some other posts, is that your intake filters need to be at least 2 times the size of the outflow filters, and on the opposite end of the booth.   Another thing I have learned, is that if you put your exhaust vent near the floor and the intakes up high, your airflow is down and gets the fog out of the air better.   My exhaust fan is high, but think I can run some plastic down to the floor from it and get the airflow to work better.  Wish you were close enough to paint mine too!

EdMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

The fan just sucks through the filters and blows out through the wall, all the filters do is catch the over spray. As far as intake, i just open a window.

Posted

The fan just sucks through the filters and blows out through the wall, all the filters do is catch the over spray. As far as intake, i just open a window.

I've got a 36" wide screen door on the side entry to my garage - Just going to tape some filters to it for intake air.

EDMO

Posted

Great Job!

Posted

The paint fumes are heavy so they will sink to the floor. So that is where the suction should be. That's why all the rage over down draft booths. Looks good other than that.

I painted in hanger once where they had the exhaust fans about 5' up off the ground. It didn't work at all. I finally cut them off and opened a door.

Posted

Very nice paint boot!  Fit some filters to the window openings too so you keep the lint, dust and any airborn seeds from coming in and landing on your fresh paint.

Depending on the paint you use, some of this stuff is flat deadly; especially the aerothane.  I had always used a filter respirator for painting cars with laquer, enamel and some of the nasty stuff (like a dummy) but for the plane I bought a supplied air system using the air compressor for supply.  It takes a fairly good sized portable compressor to support it and the paint gun but you only have to connect the compressor air hose to your belt splitter box that has the activated carbon cartridge and pressure control for your mask and a short air hose with separate pressure controls for your gun.   I have never been so comfortable painting in a fog of deadly paint with a nice positive flow of cool fresh air being supplied to you constantly.  I used a colessor/ filter at the compressor, a 50' length of hose to another colessor with the drain valve slightly cracked open to cool the air and get as much of the water out as possible, then another 50' hose to the belt splitter box.