Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Parachute installation

57 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello,

thank you for opening me acces to the forum ... I'm french avid owner, and at the moment my plane is having a fuselage revision, new covering soon

I have a BRS 900 and wish to install it, but I can't find any installation picture exemple .. I want to be carefull about weight balance too, is there any possibility to install in front?

thank you in advance for help

Posted

canister, VLS, or soft pack?

Posted

this is canister version ... 

my Avid is already "light forward" .. was really considering all possibilities to put be in front

I can convert it to soft pack if better, I know someone who makes custom cordura packs and repack them

looks like this one

brs_900.jpg

Posted

I would suggest you contact BRS. They should have recommended mounting instructions for an Avid. Usually Avids are nose heavy, even with a light engine..... What is your flying CG? Jim Chuk

Posted

thanks you answer, but BRS is not giving special instructions for AVID , as there are many CG configurations according to situation ... mine is at workshop at the moment ,having a 462 rotax without electric starter , it is one of these one can consider to do this way..

anyway, ist'n there any picture showing installation exemples? that would help in any case..

Posted (edited)

There is an kitfox (or possibly avid) on barnstormers with a photo of a brs behind the seat aiming through the turtledeck

Found it. kitfox IV 1200 trigear nice plane but one of the wheels is in the wrong place!

Edited by Dusty

Posted

thanks, that's a good help :)

I guess this is this one

is kitfox very different around this area as controls need to be disconnected to fold? 

.watermarked_72b2d31aac45194cc23f04af6b0

Posted

The flaperon mixer on the Kitfox 4 is completely different from the earlier Kitfoxes and Avids. Lots more room for the BRS in the Kitfox 4 than the Avid behind the seat as this picture shows. Here's a thought, mounted underneath, (like a bomb). That's how it was set up on my Himax. If you need it near the front for CG purposes, put it in front of the landing gear. Landing gear was shorter on the Himax than a Kitfox, and I never hit it on anything. Jim Chuk

post-329-0-01443000-1440536948_thumb.jpg

Posted

My avid has canister in it I'll try and get some pics

Posted

What happens to the turtledeck on the Kitffox shown above when the canister goes boom?

EdMO

Posted

I think they say the rocket will go through about anything then the chute will rip the rest off. As if you wouldn't have your shorts full enough when a wing folds they deploy a rocket behind your fricken head ha.

3 people like this

Posted

Can't upload the pictures for some reason .probably my stupid f×+#£&# phone .mone is mounted right next to the header tank and blows through the fabric on the bottom and rips.up the fuselage and then tears of the turtle deck and hangs four point .I have pictures of this but afore mentioned device will not load them .f&$×

Posted

My Mangy Fox had a BRS in it when I bought it.  It was configured to fire out the BOTTOM of the plane under and behind the baggage sack.  The leads were wrapped around the side of the plane (covered with an ugly 6" wide tape) to the turtle deck then to the overhead.

I sold it (needing a new rocket and repack) for $800.  IMO - good riddance.

Posted

The Kitfox 4 project I bought last summer had a chute that also shot through the bottom of the plane plus the strap going up the side covered with tape. I won't put it back in when I rebuild the plane. There is way more room back there on a Kitfox 4 than the earlier kitfoxes or Avids though. Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I think I would cut a hole in the turtledeck and either let the top of the canister stick up thru it, or make a thin patch for the BRS to take out a plug out of the TD - Lexan is a little tougher than plexiglass. 

I never had any training of how to ride a plane to a landing supported by a parachute...Hold breath & pray?

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed

I think it would be alot like losing control of a high speed race car. Fold your arms on your chest and see where it goes... :shitfan:

Posted

My friend just installed a chute in his Rans S-6. It fires out the top. He cut a hole and covered it with that heat shrink model airplane covering. Looks pretty good.

Posted

I don't know about ya'll, but in the event of a catastrophic failure on one of these, such as folding the wing in flight ( it has never happened yet that I know of) It would be me bringing on the wing fold or failure intentionally and in that case I have no need to pull a chute and take a chance on limping away from the crash.... At that point I would want to burn in and make as big of a smoking hole as possible.. Life in a wheelchair does not sound like much fun to me.  The only other time a BRS would be good is in the event of an engine failure over hostile territory and again it would be my fault for flying too low to make something resembling a landing.  I would rather have the added cargo capacity than a BRS in my plane.

:BC:

2 people like this

Posted

big thanks to dynomike

150827094751746856.jpg

Posted

Just my 2 cents on it, but here are my thoughts.  If you shoot it out the bottom, it will take a lot longer for the chute to deploy.  Supposedly a chute can begin to deploy within about 100' of altitude.  Shooting it out the bottom will loose you quite a bit of distance.  I think the chute is at least 30' from the plane when deployed.  If that's the case, shooting it down instead of up will mean 60' lost verses shooting it up.  If it goes up instead of down, it also shouldn't get wrapped around the tail of the plane when it deploys.  Just something to think about.  YMMV.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Looks like if you deployed the chute it would blow the back of your head off.

Posted (edited)

IMO, If I couldn't trust my own plane, or my pilot skills to fly and land dead-stick without a parachute, I wouldn't fly it...

I'm like Akflyer, I would rather take my chance on a horizontal crash, than to have a crushed spine from a vertical crunch, or a tree limb up my ass, and spend the rest of my life paralyzed !!!!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

it blows out the bottom,id take it out but my wife likes it,one last move before checkmate I guess,besides its the only reason my radiator is offset to the left.how else would I explain that to people.

Posted

just reread my post .sounds dirty ,sorry wasn't my intention

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I must be getting old - didn't sound dirty to me!   Just sounded like a man with a wife, BRS and plane!   :lol:

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri