Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Avid Magnum on barnstormers

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just saw this, maybe someone is interested.  Don't know anything about it that isn't in the add.   Tried to paste the add here, it doesn't want to show up???  It's an unfinished project, in Canada, $14,000 Jim Chuk

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

That looks good! He did good work on the wings. Looks like a fiberglass leading edge...

If somebody on here buys that, make sure you take a look at the rules for getting across the border. In most cases they want you to use a broker.

Long story longer...I bought my engine up there in Canada. The guy selling the engine was going to meet me on the U.S. side but our guys would not let him enter to sell the engine unless we had a broker. So, I crossed into Canada for 15 minutes as we exchanged money and the engine. When I tried to come back in the U.S. They quizzed me up and down and made me get out of the vehicle and come inside for more verbal abuse!

I lucked out because of two things...I bought the engine for under $10,000 U.S., if it is more than that you can't cross the border with that much cash. Second, the engine was originally manufactured in the U.S., they said if it was made in Canada I couldn't import it without other paperwork. What in the Hell is made in Canada anyway?

I don't know if these are really the rules or not, but It pissed me off that as a retired veteran, no arrest record, tax paying citizen, I get hammered for doing nothing wrong! So much for NAFTA!

The kicker is...They never looked in the crate the engine was in! That would have required them to get out of their heated building...

Of course the Canadians were nice as can be...

So look into it before you get stopped on the way back in and they seize your new Magnum project!

Ron

Posted

I have found on all but one border crossing I have done driving the Alcan that the Canadians were great to deal with, the US guys were assholes most of the time.  I sat and watched as wave after wave of cars with Canadian tags were waved right through, but then I come in with a US plate and they grilled me and crawled up my ass with a wire brush.  Pisses me off to he point that I don't do all the road trips I used to.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

My last trip in 2008 from Canada to U.S. crossing into Montana, I was questioned about how much I had bought in Canada - I believe the tourist papers I had said I would be taxed on anything more than $150 bought in Canada - We had just stopped at a "Tax-Free Zone" and bought about $50 in stuff. I showed him the receipt and said we had not spent over $150 for anything except food and gas, and they let me through.

What I didn't tell him was that my old trailer with Alaska tags was sitting on the new trailer I had bought in Canada for $6500 - Twice the price I could have bought it for in the U.S., and had to pay the "Queen's Tax" on it there, including an insurance policy/permit to drive it thru Canada, which I didn't need, for about $500 more - and was so damned pissed off that I wasn't about to pay any more ransom to get back home!

I bought my Soob engine from a guy in Canada, and he shipped it by 18-wheeler in a particle-board box with a load of particle-board - I don't know how he got it thru without paying...I gave the driver a $20 tip for putting it in my truck bed.

Yeh - We got screwed with NAFTA! My job went to Mexico!

EdMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this